My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

The silence, the waiting, then the pain

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby Lychfowel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:56 am

Apologies for stealing a line from Aaron’s lyrics for the topic title, but it really captures the spirit I think because a) It is awfully silent around here and I miss talking with you guys (not that there’s any news regarding the band to discuss, of course), b) we’re all waiting for the Bride to re-arise (with patience! No worries) and c) Well life is full of pain innit.

I have not much to add myself, other than that I hope everything is going as well as possible for Aaron and the rest of the band. I was at the Norwegian Inferno Festival (I love that festival - though nothing can beat the 2015 edition when MDB played obviously) and found a shirt I didn’t have in my collection yet, so that was nice (the Feel the Misery one with the dancing skeletons) but also an item I didn’t know existed until I saw it so I am afeared it is a fake / unlicensed product: A «Feel the Misery» card holder thingy. It looks kind of cheap with the album art just stickered onto the box, but maybe someone here knows something about this item? The merchant was quick to sell it to me for half the price, too, so there’s that ^^ Oh well, it’s a nicety anyway.

In other news I am still listening (almost) daily to «Feel the Misery» and my thoughts and opinions on it continue to change, which is weird. Getting a tad sick of some of the tunes, though, maybe :D Without meaning any disrespect to the band and its woes, but is has been a good while since we’ve gone this long without new material after a blisteringly productive period. I am looking forward to the next record, and hope that we will have some positive news soon, but in the meantime I was wondering how everyone else is holding up and maybe you have some MDB-related stories to share :-)
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 am

I'm really looking forward to a new MDB Album/EP with Calvin fully involved!
Is it still planned to release "A Harvest Of Dread"?
Now listening: Hollow Cathedra :beerchug:
"I remember the King and his Queen I shall never forget..."
lostUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Danhod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Also am looking forward to some kind of update, patiently...... PLEEEEEEEEASE GIMME UPDATE!!!!..... but yeah I'm cool about it.

Listening to 'A Map' and I love the feel of this record. I feel ashamed I haven't got the final version of Fell The Misery yet, I'm still listening to the mispress!
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Melkoroth » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:46 pm

I cant wait for the new MDB album.... I started listening to MDB when Feel the Misery came out so i never felt the hype of waiting for a new MDB album/EP...

I already listened to the whole MDB discography way too many times and i cant wait to hear something new.....

MDB is one of the bands that only gets better after all the years... 28 years and they still make albums that sound just as ambitious as the first ones... and better.....

Keep making incredible art... :beerchug:
MelkorothUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Quetiapine » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi guys!,

for so long there was a lack of movement that I even forgot the password.

A)

Lychfowel in our doomy life this is the exact period of time when the forum slowly wakes up from lethargy. The exact cycle of three years.
I hope our intuition will not disappoint us and we will have much to discuss this and next year :roll:
B)

I am curious whether nuclear blast has a strong pressure on MDB.
When Paradise lost changed the label, after one year they released a new album.
It seems to me that just one year has passed since the contract was signed. so maybe something is coming up by the end this year. HOPE SO!

Life is hard. at the least appropriate moment shows us the middle finger. I know, however, that Aaron is a tough guy and he will drown his sorrows in lyrics.

I keep my fingers crossed for him and his family.

But i can not wait for new album! it will be three years soon. I need new MDB sounds to live.
Feed my thirsty soul even with a small EP!

BTW there are days when even FLIS sounds like new material :D
Donnie Darko: Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
QuetiapineUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby firebird » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 pm

As I once (when "The light at the end of the world" was released - yes, I KNOW that I am old) also started to listen to their whole lifetime achievement and recognized even back then it was material enough to fill many of my years with music it now (= 12 releases more) must be able to fill much more time - like nearly 20 releases within 3 years, it must be great! These lucky times are gone as now I do know the lifetime achievement and also am desperately waiting for new material.

This waiting fortunately seems to wake this forum again! Well, it´s spring, flowers are growing, forums awake, albums get released soon (?)...

But...nevertheless take yourself as much time as you do need.
Life is a mouth only death can feed
(J.H. Fabre)
firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lychfowel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Nice to read some fresh posts! Thanks for chiming in :)
Yes we have to be patient of course.

As for old.. I distinctly remember reading the review of the Symphonaire EP when it was released and then As the Flower Withers. But I didn't hear them until Turn Loose the Swans came out :) It was so...different...and MDB still are and boy do I love them for being just that.

Still listening to the bad press as well :D
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

For me all started when I saw the Symphonaire video on MTV in 1991... :violin:
lostUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Lychfowel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 am

Hey boys and girls and those in-between, I stumbled over hills and found this article on Whitby, o' Barghest fame:

http://www.medievalists.net/2018/04/bef ... tby-abbey/
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby cryolithic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 pm

lost wrote:For me all started when I saw the Symphonaire video on MTV in 1991... :violin:

Came across The Angel and the Dark River at the local record shop. My musical life changed forever that day.
cryolithic
Novice
Novice

Postby lost » Mon May 07, 2018 11:46 am

They caught my interest with Symphonaire, but with Turn Loose The Swans they really got me!
lostUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Podgie » Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 am

Alright everybody! I see this thread has almost become somewhat of a catch up, and a "reminisce how much we all dearly love My Dying Bride" kind of love affair thing, which I'm all for indulging in seeing as though I'm all but positive this isn't "just another of our favourite bands" - it's more than that.

For me, as will be the case for most of you, first of all, I wish the band all the best - I know it has been / is a difficult time for them at the moment. Cancelling gigs and whatnot is never good for a band, financially or otherwise. Your personal life, family life and "real life" will (and rightfully should) always come first though.

Now. For me, the silence, the waiting, and the pain is all part of being a lover of the bride. As much joy as new material would bring me, with almost 30 years worth of music to keep going back to I'm quietly content.

Recently I've been going back to and enjoying A Map of All Our Failures the most. But every time I decide to put on The Angel and the Dark River..........
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Fri May 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Regarding the cancelled gigs, as far as I know the band does not make profit by performing so I don't expect them to be harmed financially. Just hope given enough time everybody will be alright and also - shameless self-interest inserted - that the quietness and isolation will do the writing process and the new album some good. I am especially eager to find out how the return of Calvin and Shaun Winter will influence the writing process.

In the meantime, I'll give some underrated pearls like The Isis Script another spin...
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby lost » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:27 pm

"New Song" from the Fb site

"In their typically obscure fashion My Dying Bride have released a sneak preview of a song from the upcoming album. Make of this what you will, i think it looks like a classic, i am however now beginning to lose my mind. Title needs some work though. Song 2 anyone?"

https://www.facebook.com/MyDyingBrideOfficial/

lostUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Lychfowel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Looks like a solid, typical My Dying Bride track, with some audio samples between parts as they're wont to do :D

But more seriously, I have to say I kind of appreciate not getting any updates on the new material (well, beyond this image). Whenever the band says something about the new stuff there's the risk we draw the 'wrong' conclusions (I remember that For Lies I Sire didn't quite turn out how I came to expect it, but I think Andrew was just as surprised heehee). Now, with the new album whenever it comes, I'm totally going to try to not know much beforehand and just listen like a virgin in a cucumber patch yeehaw.

So definitely not going to ask the same question MDB gets with each album - "How much growls vs clean?" hehe.

But I have to say the growl:clean ratio was pretty delicious on Feel the Misery :-P

Now playing for the 1000th time since 1015: "To Shiver in Empty Halls"
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Next

Return to My Dying Bride