My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Calvin out once again..

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 pm

It may not have escaped some of you (especially those that picked up the Harvest Of Dread compilation) that Calvin once again appears to have left the band.
No real reason has been given from what I can see. I’ve just read in an online interview with Aaron that he has been replaced for live shows by Neil Blanchett of the band Valafar, and it is suggested that Neil does not appear on the bands forthcoming album either.
Can anyone substantiate this?

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby lost » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am

I read it too here:
http://www.rockeramagazine.com/mag/inde ... ying-bride

Aaron: "Exclusive news?! I’m not sure I have any. I generally chat about all the things concerning My Dying Bride all the time, so exclusive news would be a very rare thing. I can inform you, however that Calvin has once again left the band and he has already been replaced by Neil Blanchett from the band "Valafar" who will tour with the band in the future although he is not on the new LP."

I think the problem is that Calvin is only interested in Black Metal nowadays, it seems:
https://www.instagram.com/calvin_robertshaw/?hl=de
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby lost » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 am

lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:19 am

That is where I read it. I’m going through every interview I can find at the moment, and hadn’t seen it necessarily announced anywhere.

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby DarkLink » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Maybe Hamish is going to come back! :D
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:47 pm

Neil Blanchett of Valafar is the new guitarist :)

Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby bagingkle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 am

My post from another thread fits here:

Yeah, I had really high hopes with Calvin back in the fold. I have chatted with Calvin and he is focused on playing more aggressive music, like his project Many Suffer that you can hear on his Instagram page. It's absolutely nothing like MDB at all.

It's interesting - When he rejoined MDB, Many Suffer sounded like a doom/death project and he was excited to be back in the band (based on 2014/2015 interviews with Calvin). At some point over the last 4 years Many Suffer changed into a death/black metal band, and that's simply what Calvin wants to play now.

So despite his past history of doom metal and rejoining the band, things just changed and what Calvin was writing simply did not fit for MDB. Many Suffer is good stuff IMO, but it is musically miles from MDB. It sucks that we will never get to hear Calvin and Andy write MDB songs together again, and it's beyond disappointing - I was so excited to have Calvin back after being a fan since 1992. If I had my way, we would have a full record and an EP of music written by Calvin and Andy - but if Calvin just doesn't enjoy playing doom/death/gothic stuff anymore,what can anyone do? Just wish that wasn't the case!

I'm assuming the rest of the band felt 'why did Calvin rejoin if you didn't want to play doom metal', whereas Calvin may have felt that he didn't want to write in the MDB style anymore and just needed more aggression in the music. Aaron stated that Calvin's leaving the band was pretty negative, and that also sucks because I understand they had stayed friends after Calvin initially left and he has assisted the band in many capacities.

That being said, I am very excited to hear the new LP. We are getting new music regardless, and most importantly Aaron's family and his daughter are in good health.
bagingkleUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:46 am

The Last Lonely Man wrote:Neil Blanchett of Valafar is the new guitarist :)

And here he is already:

Last edited by lost on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 am

Aye good to see! Lots of great photos from this upcoming video shoot.

Getting excited! :)

Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby avr-asm.blogspot.com » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:01 am

Toyota/scion san diego emailed me and my friend few weeks ago asking when they get the first batch of scion FRS if we can do a BBQ meet up again and his asking me if I can again keep my AE86 on the showroom. Im going to post as soon as toyota/scion san diego emailed me when.

<a href=https://prom-electric.ru/>.</a>
avr-asm.blogspot.com
Novice
Novice

Postby Shelbaanalt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks for the reply but I thought of that as well and nothing.  I tried over and over making sure that I wasnt skiping anything but still the same results.
Attachments
210.gif
210.gif (3.51 KiB) Viewed 99 times
ShelbaanaltUser avatar
Novice
Novice

Return to My Dying Bride