My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Little info about the new album

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby lost » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 am

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/metal-ha ... 20/page/20

New album should be out in September/October.
Calvin left 8 or 9 months ago. It was pretty acrimonious. There will be a new guitarist.
Andrew played all the guitars on the album.
The songs are catchier this time, a little more "commercial".

Looking forward to the new stuff!!!
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby herr m. » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm

lost wrote:Calvin left 8 or 9 months ago. It was pretty acrimonious.

Well, that sucks. I had high hopes for that line up. I could not read your metal hammer link, what was Calvins reason for leaving?

lost wrote:The songs are catchier this time, a little more "commercial".

That’s pretty much what I expected. I’ve written before about that catchy/not so catchy album pattern, that I’ve noticed some time ago. I hope for a “catchy” album indeed!

lost wrote:a little more "commercial".

Ha-ha! Aaron stated that “Feel the Misery” was MDB’s most commercial album to the date. How much more commercial can it get? :eek:
Yours sincerely
herr m.User avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby lost » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:53 pm

There is no reason given why Calvin left. I had high hopes for this reunion too.

The most catchy album for me is "Like Gods Of The Sun". And it's the one I most listened to in all these years.
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby bagingkle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am

Yeah, I had really high hopes with Calvin back in the fold. I have chatted with Calvin and he is focused on playing more aggressive music, like his project Many Suffer that you can hear on his Instagram page. It's absolutely nothing like MDB at all.

It's interesting - When he rejoined MDB, Many Suffer sounded like a doom/death project and he was excited to be back in the band (based on 2014/2015 interviews with Calvin). At some point over the last 4 years Many Suffer changed into a death/black metal band, and that's simply what Calvin wants to play now.

So despite his past history of doom metal and rejoining the band, things just changed and what Calvin was writing simply did not fit for MDB. Many Suffer is good stuff IMO, but it is musically miles from MDB. It sucks that we will never get to hear Calvin and Andy write MDB songs together again, and it's beyond disappointing - I was so excited to have Calvin back after being a fan since 1992. If I had my way, we would have a full record and an EP of music written by Calvin and Andy - but if Calvin just doesn't enjoy playing doom/death/gothic stuff anymore,what can anyone do? Just wish that wasn't the case!

I'm assuming the rest of the band felt 'why did Calvin rejoin if you didn't want to play doom metal', whereas Calvin may have felt that he didn't want to write in the MDB style anymore and just needed more aggression in the music. Aaron stated that Calvin's leaving the band was pretty negative, and that also sucks because I understand they had stayed friends after Calvin initially left and he has assisted the band in many capacities.

That being said, I am very excited to hear the new LP. We are getting new music regardless, and most importantly Aaron's family and his daughter are in good health.
bagingkleUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:36 am

bagingkle wrote:That being said, I am very excited to hear the new LP. We are getting new music regardless, and most importantly Aaron's family and his daughter are in good health.

I absolutely agree!!! :beerchug:
And thanks for your infos on Calvin.

From Metal Hammer:
"We sort af agreed that we'd try to write shorter Songs and make them a bit more friendly for the listener. We failed miserably at that. Haha! The shortest song is five and a half minutes and there are a few eight, a nine and one that's 10 and a half. You've got to build the atmosphere, create the characters, let the action unfold, then come down from that. You struggle to do that in a short period of time."
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby firebird » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:39 pm

lost wrote:"We sort af agreed that we'd try to write shorter Songs and make them a bit more friendly for the listener. We failed miserably at that. Haha! The shortest song is five and a half minutes and there are a few eight, a nine and one that's 10 and a half. You've got to build the atmosphere, create the characters, let the action unfold, then come down from that. You struggle to do that in a short period of time."

Good to hear that.
Life is a mouth only death can feed
(J.H. Fabre)

owlonfire on deviantart.com
firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Danhod » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:21 am

September is pretty soon! I expect art and tracklist to be shown soon then? Looking forward very much, though the commercial mention does worry me just a bit.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby lost » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Yes. Looking forward to artwork, new song, interviews, band pictures, merch, reviews, shows... :)
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby lost » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am

The forum is back!

"IT IS COMPLETE! The NEW ALBUM from My Dying Bride! It has taken quite some time to put together but it is now finished and is with Nuclear Blast as I write this. There is no release date as yet but rest assured we will let you know once we find out. This album is a luxurious journey into a realm only MDB know how to create. It has the most lavish production of any of our past offerings and the sound is utterly stunning; aggressive, beautiful and layered with harmonic melancholy like never before. There is beauty here with slender moments of delicate hope enriched with violins and cello and the stunning voice of special guest Lindy-Fay Hella from Wardruna. And there is utter madness and anger with visceral death metal vocals lending a fearful edge to this dramatic opus. You will not be disappointed!! Cheers, Aaron."

https://www.facebook.com/MyDyingBrideOfficial/
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:27 am

Well, the album is officially in the hands of Nuclear Blast now.. and MDB even announced a new UK date for next year.. so the waiting game is now on!

I wonder if they will manage to squeeze the release out before the end of the year?

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby lost » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

The Last Lonely Man wrote:I wonder if they will manage to squeeze the release out before the end of the year?

Hopefully!
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Podgie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Sad to hear of the band's departures but of course, regardless of personal feelings I'm sure they were made in the Bride's best interests in mind. Very much looking forward to the next chapter... and it's lavish production Aaron!

The Last Lonely Man wrote:MDB even announced a new UK date for next year..

They did?? I haven't been able to find anything about that... do please share a link my good man! :beerchug:
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:59 am

HRH Goth Featuring HRH Industrial - London & Sheffield
12+13.09.2020
http://www.hrhgoth.com/
Just to confirm and save further confusion, all the bands on the line-up will play BOTH Sheffield and London venues over the weekend of 12-13th September 2020. Half the line-up will be in Sheffield Saturday while the other half perform in London. On the Sunday, the bands swap venues. We will announce who plays where on which day later in the year.

lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Lychfowel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 pm

It feels so good to check the forum and see so many new posts for a change :D

I'm really curious and excited about the new album, surprised that Calvin's departure was 'acromonious' (had to check a dictionary there). It sounds like the band intended to create a catchy album but perhaps didn't quite manage, I mean, it's probably catchy for MDB but perhaps not for ye average radio listener ^^.¨

When I think of "commercial" MDB songs, I think of the songs my fiancee tolerates or even can be caught humming along to: "L'Amour Detruit", "The Poorest Waltz", "For You".

A part of my soul secretly hopes that the death metal vocals haven't been abandoned entirely or almost entirely, but at the same time I like all the albums without such gravelly noise, so it doesn't really matter - but I think the growls on Feel the Misery were a spectacular success, they are so powerful and sound so good. (Nope, you've never read anyone wondering about the growl/clean ratio before a new MDB LP before :p)

Most of all I hope to see the band live again, time for catharsis.

And also, perhaps a sneak listen like we've been given before? A snippet? Perhaps a look at the cover art? Pretty please?
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lost » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 am

Lychfowel wrote:And also, perhaps a sneak listen like we've been given before? A snippet? Perhaps a look at the cover art? Pretty please?

Exciting! :)
lost
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to My Dying Bride