My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

To Shiver in Empty Halls

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby Lychfowel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello all, been a while since I posted but I've been lurking about, like some of Aaron's lyrics keep lurking in my mind.

I just wanted to take a moment to praise "To Shiver in Empty Halls". Can't believe it's been two years already, partially because I'm still listening to it so often.

It may just be my favorite My DyING BRIDE song since.. Well, it really is a little masterpiece in my opinion.

It has cryptic lyrics, in some lines reminding me of the older material.

It has a bombastic and slow, yet aggressive opening, followed by soaring guitar lines just the way I love them.

It has many different parts, and they all help to build a wonderfully epic and dark atmosphere.

The growls are fantastic, they sound so good in this song, and I feel they are very well placed and paced, they really are the crowning achievement in an already very captivating piece.

The clean vocals are great too and I like the fresh melodies, it feels new yet so definitely the band we love (this goes for most of the album really).

The other instruments are also excellently performed and placed, it's just.. like everything just super-clicked. It's amazing that the BRIDE can just output an instant classic on their TWELFTH studio, and goddammit they pushed out more than one as well (looking at you, "Father", "Forest" and "Curse").

Anyone else passionate about this song?

Honest sod that I am, I'll admit it would have been even more perfect if the last whispered part was sung/crooned, but that's a personal opinion and doesn't make me change my rating of "To Shiver in Empty Halls" (great title too!) which is of course 10/10 will listen again right away.

Hope everything is as well as can be with the band, I saw on FB there's been a personal tragedy of some kind.
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:12 pm

This song seems to be an evergreen, an instant classic that probably will feature on many playlists to come. When this came out, I was mostly intrigued by the lyrical theme. I suspect the protagonist might be something fire-like. This - I think - fits pretty nicely with the song but I must admit that in some places it still leaves some questionmarks.

On the other hand, if I would have a definite answer to what the song really is about, the song might lose much of its mystique.
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Melkoroth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

Yeah, i especially like the slow parts with some piano.
MelkorothUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Return to My Dying Bride