My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Aaron's best vocal performance

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby Storm » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 pm

I also think that Aaron sings technically well on aLODK, and I do like that style as well, but... there's so many singers out there who can sing great, but not so many that can sing with so much emotion as Aaron, and for me, MDB is all about emotion. Therefore, I think I prefer the more wretched and miserable sound of SODWOL and TDH...

But it also might be that the reason I never fell in love with the vocals on aLODK was because I didn't love the songs on that album (as much as I loved the songs on previous albums). Because it's not the vocals, I think, that are the main reason why I don't love aLODK. It's more about the whole package, how everything fits together, and the vocals are just a part of it. I have always liked Aarons vocals, on all albums, so if there are songs by MDB I dislike it's not because of vocals. :)
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 am
Location: Norway

Postby Lycaon » Sat May 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Storm wrote:I also think that Aaron sings technically well on aLODK, and I do like that style as well, but... there's so many singers out there who can sing great, but not so many that can sing with so much emotion as Aaron, and for me, MDB is all about emotion. Therefore, I think I prefer the more wretched and miserable sound of SODWOL and TDH...

I think Aaron sings both technically and emotionally on ALODK. I'd say listen to a random track of that album and you'll know what I mean. 8)
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Postby >>UniBr0w<< » Sat May 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Lycaon wrote:I think Aaron sings both technically and emotionally on ALODK. I'd say listen to a random track of that album and you'll know what I mean. 8)


No disrespect but I've listened to that album many times. I highly doubt just picking a random track right now is going to change my opinion of the performances.

Storm wrote:It's more about the whole package, how everything fits together, and the vocals are just a part of it.


This is also true. I also don't blame Aaron for my overall feelings on the album. The entire package just feels uninspired - when compared to the other albums at least...

Tbh, the thing I like most about it is the drumming.
Two Cats

People of the Monolith:
MySpace - Facebook - Last.fm

God Destroyer wrote:you want to tell us that MDB is a SATANIC, ANTI-CHRIST BAND?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>UniBr0w<<User avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Postby Aylin Black » Sun May 25, 2008 1:09 pm

Storm wrote:I also think that Aaron sings technically well on aLODK, and I do like that style as well, but... there's so many singers out there who can sing great, but not so many that can sing with so much emotion as Aaron, and for me, MDB is all about emotion. Therefore, I think I prefer the more wretched and miserable sound of SODWOL and TDH...



How very true... I don't think trying to make it perfect technically is a good idea... Yet, there is one think I adore about ALODK... those weeping vocals... that can be found on "The Crown of..."... I know I said that before but I really missed those... I thought Aaron couldn't do that anymore but I was so terribly wrong... and it was a most pleasant surprise... I love them because I didn't think I could hear them again...

Bravo, :aaron:
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 2200
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Romania(my buddy Dracula loves you guys)

Postby DarkLink » Sun May 25, 2008 4:58 pm

Aylin Black wrote:
How very true... I don't think trying to make it perfect technically is a good idea... Yet, there is one think I adore about ALODK... those weeping vocals... that can be found on "The Crown of..."... I know I said that before but I really missed those... I thought Aaron couldn't do that anymore but I was so terribly wrong... and it was a most pleasant surprise... I love them because I didn't think I could hear them again...

Bravo, :aaron:


The mouths that dare not speak his
name, behold them, raised, complete and fine.
The battle for our lives is oh, so brief. Take my
hand and please walk with me. When I was
young the sun did burn my face. I let its love
and warmth wash over me.


I love this passage too :)
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Montréal - Canada

Postby Storm » Sun May 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Lycaon wrote:
Storm wrote:I also think that Aaron sings technically well on aLODK, and I do like that style as well, but... there's so many singers out there who can sing great, but not so many that can sing with so much emotion as Aaron, and for me, MDB is all about emotion. Therefore, I think I prefer the more wretched and miserable sound of SODWOL and TDH...

I think Aaron sings both technically and emotionally on ALODK. I'd say listen to a random track of that album and you'll know what I mean. 8)


Yes, he sings emotionally in a more romantic, beautiful kind of way, which is nice, it's just that I prefer hopelessness and pitch black despair :P
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 am
Location: Norway

Postby Enig » Sun May 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Weeping vocals like in The Crown of Sympathy on ALoDK? Can you come with an example where you can hear it clearly? I've not noticed that before, and imo Aaron makes one of his best vocal performance in TCoS, so I should have noticed :P
EnigUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Postby >>UniBr0w<< » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Enig wrote:Weeping vocals like in The Crown of Sympathy on ALoDK? Can you come with an example where you can hear it clearly? I've not noticed that before, and imo Aaron makes one of his best vocal performance in TCoS, so I should have noticed :P


I'm thinking the exact same thing. Not saying Aylin's wrong but I can't recall any like that myself and it would be interesting to hear.
Two Cats

People of the Monolith:
MySpace - Facebook - Last.fm

God Destroyer wrote:you want to tell us that MDB is a SATANIC, ANTI-CHRIST BAND?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>UniBr0w<<User avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:37 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Postby Aylin Black » Mon May 26, 2008 5:41 pm

I believe you can hear it better on the dvd (live)
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 2200
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Romania(my buddy Dracula loves you guys)

Postby Enig » Mon May 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Aylin Black wrote:Yet, there is one think I adore about ALODK... those weeping vocals... that can be found on "The Crown of..."
Aylin Black wrote:I believe you can hear it better on the dvd (live)
Maybe you should have written "Yet, there is one think I adore about An Ode to Woe..." instead. Because I can't remember hearing them on ALoDK, and would still appreciate if you could find an example if you still mean they're on there. The vocals he does live don't change the experience of listening to the album, you know.
EnigUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Postby Aylin Black » Mon May 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Listen to the For darkest Eyes dvd's version of The Crown... because you can hear them better there... It's the way he sings particular words that give it a weeping tone...

A clear e.g... from my point of view (this part):
"I dreamt of a dead child in my sleep.
I wear a terrible mark in my head. my clean, white bed."
It just songs like weeping... and L'amour detruit... not exactly the same but still a weeping tone

I mean.. this is how I hear it and I associated this album with that track...
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist
 
Posts: 2200
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Romania(my buddy Dracula loves you guys)

Postby Abed » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 am

I would say all of TLTS & ALODK and Aaron showed an amazing control of his clean on For Lies I Sire - I really like the work he did in this album and it is much, very and tremendously thanked & appreciated! :)
We live and die without hope
AbedUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm
Location: Damascus, Syria

Postby Democritus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:10 pm

The Cry of Mankind
ShadowHaunt
DemocritusUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 am
Location: Xanthi, Greece

Postby Danish » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:22 pm

His nasal singing in, "The Whore, The Cook And The Mother"...
n of course 1st four tracks on ALODK...
Jesus wept so man could live forever on earth. In peace
But my tears. They fall for you. Only you
DanishUser avatar
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 pm
Location: Srinagar, Kashmir, India

Postby bagingkle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:08 am

Danish wrote:His nasal singing in, "The Whore, The Cook And The Mother"...
n of course 1st four tracks on ALODK...


First 4 tracks on ALODK for sure...but, it is his singing on the 5th track "Thy Raven Wings" that embody some of the most beautiful singing (and vocal melodies) I have ever heard.

I was actually a little bit disappointed with the singing on FLIS :(. I thought he really made a leap on ALODK with his tone/vibrato and did not notice it as much on FLIS. I do like his singing on TLTS, 34%, and TDH as well.
bagingkleUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: SAN DIEGO, USA

PreviousNext

Return to My Dying Bride

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests