My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Favourite My Dying Bride guitar riff?

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby Revenant » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 pm

If you read many of the threads here, you should know my frustration about songs like The Night He Died, It Will Come. Weirdly, they both contain wonderful riffs. Can you grasp them ?

Of course I can, though, in all fairness, I prefer ‘The Night He Died’ to ‘It Will Come’. Especially striking I find the section beginning with ‘One black furious midnight...’: you can almost identify all the vindictive rage and bitterness with that riff, underlined strongly by Adrian's bass line. The song itself is one of the more sinister ilk, just as I like them.

I distinctly remember mentioning 'The Isis Script' in this thread

Apologies for this oversight of mine: ‘The Isis Script’ is a deleterious song which I cannot but be devastated by. ‘She Is the Dark’, ‘Into the Lake of Ghosts’, ‘The Isis Script’ and ‘Christ Liar’ are among my all-time favourite My Dying Bride tracks: less maudlin tears, more supernatural threat.

This is what I have been laying waste to myself with for the better part of this fortnight, on account of my currently being lovelorn and desolate. I find ‘She Is the Dark’ and ‘Christ Liar’ especially addictive: the latter to me epitomizes the motifs of, as I like to put it, ‘love, betrayal, death, damnation and haunting from beyond the grave’.
Be not too sure that none of the old magic endures.
RevenantUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby forevermydyingbride » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 am

The crown of sympathy 1:20 to 2:10

Turn loose the swans 3:39 to 5:30

The Light at the End of the World 2:39 to 3:05

so many :( so many
forevermydyingbrideUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Abed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:27 am

I should quote myself in here

Abed wrote:Turn Loose Th Swans: 3:39 -5:28 right on closing the riff with half-note down. "including the drum notes"

then - I'm quoting you down

forevermydyingbride wrote:The crown of sympathy 1:20 to 2:10

Turn loose the swans 3:39 to 5:30

:headbang:
We live and die without hope
AbedUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 pm

I know this maybe a very stupid question for an MDB fan, let alone forum member...

But i was wondering, is the riff in "Christliar" (5:58 +) is either the same or very similar to "She is the dark" (4:18)?

Because to me, the rhythm of the whole thing sounds the same, and the vocal pattern is definately the same (to my uneducated ears anyway)

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Revenant » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 am

I am not quite sure about that, but I dare say the semi-acoustic preparatory section in ‘Christ Liar’ — just before it goes into a fit of unmitigated rage with ‘Beware!’ — seems to have been re-interpreted in ‘The Prize of Beauty’, just before ‘The storm of ebony hair’ — too much for comfort in my humble opinion.
Be not too sure that none of the old magic endures.
RevenantUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Ahmed » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 am

The Isis Script - Intro
Black Heart Romance
A Sea to Suffer In
The silence, the waiting and the pain
AhmedUser avatar
Novice
Novice

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 pm

This thread needs some love, especially after the Guitar brutality on FEEL THE MISERY. The album is so full of chugging guitar riffs it has a certain effect on me... XD

And My Father Left Forever, the chug in that song is goddamn ridiculous! that is some tight playing, and some great production! (Provided you got the correct version haha)

A Cold New Curse! CHUG CHUG CHUG

The guitar lines in "To Shiver In Empty Halls" are sublime also... nice lead work, you have to love the melodies!

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Previous

Return to My Dying Bride