My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Favourite My Dying Bride guitar riff?

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby managatsuo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 am

this is one of many :
My hope the destroyer 3:03 - 3:43 (an od to woe)

:headbang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC8eEoPmfi0
managatsuoUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 am

There's some superb riffing in Le Figlie Della Tempesta.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Iceicelet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:55 pm

RWHN wrote:The "main" riff in Sear Me III

Yeah. This one is something so special and the most memorable. It`s very easy to get hooked to the whole stuff of MDB by this one and only Sear Me III riff....Seems like a musical signature of My Dying Bride. :)
-Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me- by H.D.Thoreau

- the fake lies that we are told and the real truths we forget -
IceiceletUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Abed wrote:so all of them are great but thank you "The Last Lonely Man" for this Topic :)

cheers :-), I do tend to have a good think about interesting threads to start... I try to keep them interesting at least...

I also forgot to mention the fantasitc riffs in here in the throat :-D

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Has anyone mentioned Edenbeast yet?!

*can't really be bothered checking*
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby DarkLink » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm

MySanityDoesFly wrote:Has anyone mentioned Edenbeast yet?!

*can't really be bothered checking*

This one, I like it. But there are so many ^^
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Iceicelet » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Yes...There are so many. In my opinion, almost every song of MDB has it`s own memorable signature riff. I tried to listen all the albums with an aim to pick my favorites, but all thing ended with confusion. I can `t pick a few. Actually, almost all of them are my favorites, but Sear Me III is very special.
-Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me- by H.D.Thoreau

- the fake lies that we are told and the real truths we forget -
IceiceletUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Revenant » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:15 pm

I find 'The Deepest of All Hearts', an undeservedly underrated song, absolutely devastating in all respects, especially the section that comes in support of the stanza that reads Your eyes. Your smile | No more laughter again | We were something | No more. Nothing to me. The part extending from 6:35 to 6:48 is what I usually refer to as "the summit of spiritual depletion" — so bleak and shiver-inducing.
Be not too sure that none of the old magic endures.
RevenantUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby DarkLink » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Revenant wrote:I find 'The Deepest of All Hearts', an undeservedly underrated song, absolutely devastating in all respects, especially the section that comes in support of the stanza that reads Your eyes. Your smile | No more laughter again | We were something | No more. Nothing to me. The part extending from 6:35 to 6:48 is what I usually refer to as "the summit of spiritual depletion" — so bleak and shiver-inducing.

Underrated because if you listen to it too much, it becomes quickly boring. Very good and unique songs never do that. Never.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby tarblood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:05 am

Oh my, there are so many.
The aggresive riff in "the Songless Bird" is exceptional. The one that follows mellow portion of the song. And "the Dreadful Hours" is a chain of slaying riffs.
tarbloodUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Revenant » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm

DarkLink wrote:
Revenant wrote:I find 'The Deepest of All Hearts', an undeservedly underrated song, absolutely devastating in all respects, especially the section that comes in support of the stanza that reads Your eyes. Your smile | No more laughter again | We were something | No more. Nothing to me. The part extending from 6:35 to 6:48 is what I usually refer to as "the summit of spiritual depletion" — so bleak and shiver-inducing.

Underrated because if you listen to it too much, it becomes quickly boring. Very good and unique songs never do that. Never.

Hmmm... There are many ways to qualify the song I mentioned, but boring it certainly is not, nor is, say, 'Christ Liar', 'The Isis Script', 'A Cruel Taste of Winter', 'The Scarlet Garden' and the like, none of which have been mentioned in this thread.
RevenantUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Hmmm... There are many ways to qualify the song I mentioned, but boring it certainly is not, nor is, say, 'Christ Liar', 'The Isis Script', 'A Cruel Taste of Winter', 'The Scarlet Garden' and the like, none of which have been mentioned in this thread.[/quote]

ahh yes, i do so LOVE that part in the scarlet garden when the guitars play with the drum parts, just before the growled vocals, its kinda like DUM DUM DUM DUM "no more lies!!!!!" awesome :-D

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Revenant » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 pm

ahh yes, i do so LOVE that part in the scarlet garden when the guitars play with the drum parts, just before the growled vocals, its kinda like DUM DUM DUM DUM "no more lies!!!!!" awesome :-D

Exactly. The entire section backing the verses ‘No more lies utter from you. | From mine eyes I must take you. | No longer wise. Nothing is new. | Tears for my trembling faith. | You shall not die unsung’ to me is one of the blackest moments in My Dying Bride, along with the better known parts of ‘The Raven and the Rose’ with its genuine predilection for Black Metal.

I do like the, erm, mellower side to My Dying Bride, but, admittedly, I like it sinister better. 'Tis no wonder the latter part of ‘Christ Liar’, i.e. ‘Beware! I will seek you. Find you. | Vengeance is mine. Wherever you hide | You know I will find’ straight to the (bitter) end is the one I cannot but admire to no end. Sadly underestimated, even amongst connoisseurs.
RevenantUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby DarkLink » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Revenant wrote:

Exactly. The entire section backing the verses ‘No more lies utter from you. | From mine eyes I must take you. | No longer wise. Nothing is new. | Tears for my trembling faith. | You shall not die unsung’ to me is one of the blackest moments in My Dying Bride, along with the better known parts of ‘The Raven and the Rose’ with its genuine predilection for Black Metal.

I do like the, erm, mellower side to My Dying Bride, but, admittedly, I like it sinister better. 'Tis no wonder the latter part of ‘Christ Liar’, i.e. ‘Beware! I will seek you. Find you. | Vengeance is mine. Wherever you hide | You know I will find’ straight to the (bitter) end is the one I cannot but admire to no end. Sadly underestimated, even amongst connoisseurs.

Many songs are underestimated if you want to know. One of them was Here In The Throat. And since the guys start to play it, it becomes suddenly a very good one. Underestimated just means we do not talk much about them. Yet, I agree with you about The Raven And The Rose.

If you read many of the threads here, you should know my frustration about songs like The Night He Died, It Will Come. Weirdly, they both contain wonderful riffs. Can you grasp them ?
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Slynt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Hmmm... There are many ways to qualify the song I mentioned, but boring it certainly is not, nor is, say, 'Christ Liar', 'The Isis Script', 'A Cruel Taste of Winter', 'The Scarlet Garden' and the like, none of which have been mentioned in this thread.
[/quote]

I distinctly remember mentioning 'The Isis Script' in this thread .. :(
SlyntUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to My Dying Bride