My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Getting all traumatised and depressed

Discuss the weather, your parents, your kids, the elections, in short anything that has nothing to do with My Dying Bride or metal, really.

Postby Beerman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am

"Being traumatised" is a term we hear used to describe everything from being splattered by your mate who has just stepped on a land mine in Afghanistan to fainting at a swear word you overheard at work. Is trauma really relative, or is the first example one of trauma and the second of being a drama queen? You don't hear orphan street kids scraping a live from rubbish tips in 3rd world countries complaining about being depressed, they are too busy surviving. How much of the depression we hear about in the affluent west with its sick pay and benefits is just good 'ol self indulgent self pity? Just an alternative view. Suck it up, keep calm, and carry on.
Music should be free
Beerman
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 am

It's all relative. It just depends how much suffering you can take...and how much you are used to enduring. Our Western problems may seem trivial to those in third world countries, but of course, to the rest of us they can seem very tough...I don't think we're wrong to feel that way...what we feel when we struggle to pay our bills (for example) is a very genuine anxiety for us.

Having said that, I would certainly draw the line at people getting upset over things like swear words. That really is pathetic.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby muskurov » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 am

I agree. It depends on strength of character and past experience with traumas and depression. If you live in poverty and distress (you don't need to be in a third world country to be poor and miserable) you grow up with difficulties and learn to deal with them. Or you get depressed, you die fast and young and nobody hears from you anymore. This last thought is for me the reason why people from third world countries seem to be deal better with trauma - if you don't deal with it, you die. Not the case in the Western colture where you can get help or just live with it.

One thing is for sure there is way too much moaning these days :D
muskurovUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 am

Beerman wrote:Suck it up, keep calm, and carry on.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 am

I'm not an expert in this field, but it might as well be the case that problems such as depression simply go unnoticed among the problems of those from poor backgrounds, or under-developped nations; they're too busy struggling with war, famine, making a living etc., to notice such problems.
muskurov wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Let Jesus fuck you! Haha. God should definitely let me fuck him.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:muskurov is my new god :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I don't like this :!:
Mammon Iaho DumahUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:14 am

muskurov wrote:One thing is for sure there is way too much moaning these days :D

:beerchug:
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Alzamora » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:47 am

Beerman!!!!!! Try logging out some time you fuck!! :P
AlzamoraUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Beerman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

I was logged out. I was just about to report the fault to the mods when your post made me all traumatised and depressed so I'm going to climb under by duvet and kill myself with a haliborange overdose instead.

Goodbye cruel world <exits stage left>
Last edited by Beerman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music should be free
Beerman
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Beerman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 pm

I think its all about 'the more we have the more we want', and that ranges from consumerism to happiness. to purpose. Expectations and targets are set and missed. I suspect one of the reasons 3rd world people on the edge of existence just get on with it is as muskurov said, they'd die if they didn't. They just don't have the time on their hands to be self indulgent and surviving the year take too much effort to have energy to waste on apathy. And I think it's that latter point, that many youngsters today expect things to happen for them without making any effort, and that's because they've never had to survive, and either have had everything they've wanted growing up, or have learned to take it from those that have. And for that I blame the mother.
Music should be free
Beerman
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Beerman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Right, I'm going to log out now and see what happens.
Music should be free
Beerman
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Beerman, with all due respect, if you really get upset to the point of suicidal depression by a post on a random corner of the Internet, I believe you were never fit for survival at the first place.
And you're still logged in!
muskurov wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Let Jesus fuck you! Haha. God should definitely let me fuck him.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:muskurov is my new god :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I don't like this :!:
Mammon Iaho DumahUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Alzamora » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Beerman wrote:I was logged out. I was just about to report the fault to the mods when your post made me all traumatised and depressed so I'm going to climb under by duvet and kill myself with a haliborange overdose instead.

Goodbye cruel world <exits stage left>

:lol:
AlzamoraUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Mammon Iaho Dumah wrote:I believe you were never fit for survival at the first place.
And you're still logged in!

Lol :worship:
Last edited by Danhod on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby firebird » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Mankind would not be the dominant species if it was not made to solve problems. An inner urge that cannot be satisfied causes depressions which increase little thoughts that are already there, so it's not only that you are living in a completely unnatural environment (which is very depressing) but also under completely unnatural circumstances you are also not made for (which is very depressing, too). It seems rather logical that all this causes lots of dissatisfaction which waits effortlessly for the problem´s solution. And if there is already cared for food, money, medicine, absence of war and so on problems which are not solved yet have to be found (finding ones which are solvable indeed would be a good idea nevertheless).
Life is a mouth only death can feed
(J.H. Fabre)

owlonfire on deviantart.com
firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Danhod » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm

firebird wrote:Mankind would not be the dominant species if it was not made to solve problems.

This is the meaning of human life! to solve other animals problems lol
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Next

Return to General Chat