My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

OBSESSION

Discuss the weather, your parents, your kids, the elections, in short anything that has nothing to do with My Dying Bride or metal, really.

Postby The She-Wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 am

The little "exchange of ideas" betweem myself and Danhod (I'm still waiting to see any ideas from his part, but OK) has led me into starting this new thread. In here you can speak about any obsession(s) you might have, except MDB related, as there is already a dedicated thread for that specific obsession.

And now I expect Danhod to say something about the theme of obsession. Speak your mind, man... Have you got any obsession(s)?
"Se te é impossível viver só, nasceste escravo"
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:02 pm

The theme of obsessions leads us to reinforce our interests by reilliterating in our minds that these interests are controlling us to some extend by labelling what we do as an obsession, or whatever :lol:

My absolute obsession is music, but that's too obvious. My strong interest is alcohol :) Not just getting drunk but exploring every part of it as much as I can. I also collect obscure (and maybe not so obscure) instruments (Like Karimbas and Thunder Drums) but apart from those I'm quite boring hahaha

I believe you still haven't revealed your main obsession? :)

Edit: Think I've got it - Photography?
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The She-Wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Danhod wrote:The theme of obsessions leads us to reinforce our interests by reilliterating in our minds that these interests are controlling us to some extend by labelling what we do as an obsession, or whatever :lol:

For me, obsession has to do with control. Either you desire something/ someone or you have a very strong interesrest in something/someone and you want to know more and more about it, so you search and search and search, so you create a bottomless need for knowledge about that object of desire (it may be a person or a thing). But you can never have 100% control over that object of desire, either it/he/she doesn't belong to you or your thirst for knowledge can never be quenched. When a control freak such as myself starts persecuting an objective, it may easily turn into an obsession.

My absolute obsession is music, but that's too obvious. My strong interest is alcohol :) Not just getting drunk but exploring every part of it as much as I can. I also collect obscure (and maybe not so obscure) instruments (Like Karimbas and Thunder Drums) but apart from those I'm quite boring hahaha

My strong interests are too many to be listed here, but I'll just say two of them are Science, namely Genetics, and History, especially Ancient Egypt and the Viking age.
My oldest obsessions are for blood and blond man (I call it B & B). This doesn't mean I like all blond men I see or that I'll never feel atracted to non-blonds (once in a while I get attracted to a non-blond, a rare creature). And I also have a very special place in my heart for redheads.
My obsession for blonds got mingled with my strong interested for History and the result was... an obsession for Vikings, of course (yes, I do know not all of them were blond and didn't wear horned helmets either). I read everyting I can about the Viking age. I buy every History magazine featuring an article on Northmen I set my eyes on.

Obsession and collection are connected. I also collect stuff.

Yes, I haven't, and I won't.

No, it's not photography, although there's a link with photography in there.

Develop on your obsession further, what you said above was too vague.
Attachments
img013.jpg
(15.86 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm

The She-Wolf wrote:

Yes, I haven't, and I won't.

No, it's not photography, although there's a link with photography in there.

Develop on your obsession further, what you said above was too vague.

Vague because my photo wouldn't let me type so much haha, but I'm on my laptop now :) Why not reveal your main obsession? Is it something to do with film's / magazines?

Music is special in so many ways, it varies more than wine, almost indefinitely, it can be used for so many purposes: Mood setting, used as a tool to overcome / help you with something, torturing foreigners :D, it can be a cheap and expensive interest (£3 Jazz CD's to overpriced box-sets: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=312543&ev=mb), it's something you can do / get involved with yourself (which I am ;)), the experience of getting a CD in the post, unwrapping it, reading (and smelling hahaha) the booklet for the first time, listening to it for the first time, getting a vinyl, seeing the large artwork, inspecting the vinyl itself, the whole process of putting it on the turntable, slowly dropping the needle, going on a new adventure, sounds a bit sad but i bet you all think the same :P and you can do it over and over again, there's just so many advantages to music. Not boasting, to date I have 209 CD's and 36 LP's, 4 7"s, 6 music DVD's and a few 3" CDR's - You?

I have 6 instrument's so not many but it's growing, I also started to collect classic horror / giallo DVD's a year back but that interest died off a bit, thinking of getting back into them.

What do you think fuel's your interest for Vikings?
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The She-Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:35 am

Danhod wrote:
Vague because my photo wouldn't let me type so much haha, but I'm on my laptop now :) Why not reveal your main obsession? Is it something to do with film's / magazines?

I don't want to reveal my main obsession because it is too damn personal and only my close friends know about it. In fact, I shoudn't have mentioned it in the first place and for that I'm sorry. And no, it doesn't have to do with films or magazines.

Music is special in so many ways, it varies more than wine, almost indefinitely, it can be used for so many purposes: Mood setting, used as a tool to overcome / help you with something, torturing foreigners :D, it can be a cheap and expensive interest (£3 Jazz CD's to overpriced box-sets: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=312543&ev=mb), it's something you can do / get involved with yourself (which I am ;)), the experience of getting a CD in the post, unwrapping it, reading (and smelling hahaha) the booklet for the first time, listening to it for the first time, getting a vinyl, seeing the large artwork, inspecting the vinyl itself, the whole process of putting it on the turntable, slowly dropping the needle, going on a new adventure, sounds a bit sad but i bet you all think the same :P and you can do it over and over again, there's just so many advantages to music.

Music is also very important to me but it's not an obsession. To what extent does it control or influence your life so as to be considered an obsession?
[I'm listentong to tBoW and the more I listen the more I like it].

Not boasting, to date I have 209 CD's and 36 LP's, 4 7"s, 6 music DVD's and a few 3" CDR's - You?

I have 202 CD's and 43 CDR's. Would you believe that the only CD's I bought in the past 3-4 years are MDB's? I've been really short of money lately (and also got a bit detached from the music world during my PhD). Otherwise I'd already be the proud owner of the entire MDB collection and would hunt ebay for rarities. Oh well, one that's still missing is TLTS, my fave. Hmm, that's probably my Xmas gift to myself.
I have no vinyls, CD's are much more practical and the only thing about LP's I like betther than CD's is the larger cover art. I've been craving Metallica's Master of Puppets picture disc for so long now. During WOA 2002 I searched and searched for it but I only found Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning on picture disc. Although both were original releases, I had MoP in mind and wouldn't settle for less. Oh well...
music DVD's... let me see... at least 5, by my accounts.
And I have 377 books and never counted the mags.

I have 6 instrument's so not many but it's growing, I also started to collect classic horror / giallo DVD's a year back but that interest died off a bit, thinking of getting back into them.

I guess music instruments don't come cheap, no?
I collect stamps, that's the first collection I started. BTW, are there any other stamp collectors in here?
I also collect postcards, bookmarks, any cat or wolves related stuff, and decks of cards. Anyone knows if there's any deck of cards with a MDB motif? (I'm going to add this to the Wish thread; everybody asks for t-shirts but I'll ask for a deck of cards).

So many things... I believe the root of this obsession goes back to when I was a child and used to watch a Viking cartoon on TV.
I also find nordic men very, very attractive, in fact, they're my favourite type.
They were excellent sailormen, just like the Portuguese and also discovered my new lands and sailed many sea roads. They were both pirates and merchants.
Besides, I love ancient warrior men and the Northmen were crazy warriors and also love their weapons, namely the battleaxe.
I feel like reading a new Viking novel right now. I've already read all I bought except "The Viking Art of War", which is a documentary, not a novel. A friend offered me "Wolfskin" (Juliet Marillier) as a birthday present a few years back and the author had "TVAoW" in the bibliography so I ordered the book.

"From the fury of the Northmen deliver us, O Lord"
Attachments
img017.jpg
(76.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:08 am

I don't want to reveal my main obsession because it is too damn personal and only my close friends know about it. In fact, I shoudn't have mentioned it in the first place and for that I'm sorry. And no, it doesn't have to do with films or magazines.

I understand, vajazzling is rather personal :P

Music is also very important to me but it's not an obsession. To what extent does it control or influence your life so as to be considered an obsession?
[I'm listentong to tBoW and the more I listen the more I like it]

It controls my life (almost) entirely, It's always on my mind, without music I would probably go insane... or I'd find something else but it couldn't rise up to what music offers

I guess music instruments don't come cheap, no?

Karimba's, Pan Flutes and Thunder Drums do hahaha, though I have an Electric & an Acoustic guitar too

I collect stamps, that's the first collection I started.

:shame:

So many things... I believe the root of this obsession goes back to when I was a child and used to watch a Viking cartoon on TV.

lol
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The She-Wolf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:19 am

Danhod wrote:I understand, vajazzling is rather personal :P

OK, I'll reveal my obsession to you [since you apparently are so obsessed about getting to know it]. I'm obsessed on Hard Steel's Dave the Raven and only my close friends know about it because it so embarrasses me (I mean, if you were obsessed with Dave the Raven you'd want your close friends to be the only ones to know about it, right?).
When I saw his blond hair for the first time, it was more than I could handle. So I started obsessing about him, to a point I forgot he doesn't seem to have a brain. This worries my good friends but I'm more interested in other parts of his body... like his hair, for instance.
And everytime I hear him singing "I'm going to the beach..." I completely lose control. I won't describe here what I feel, though, as under-age people may read the posts in this forum.

It controls my life (almost) entirely, It's always on my mind, without music I would probably go insane... or I'd find something else but it couldn't rise up to what music offers

Hmm... that's so soft... sure you don't have any kinky obsession?
Attachments
EB_The Book.jpg
(50.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:07 pm

OK, I'll reveal my obsession to you [since you apparently are so obsessed about getting to know it]. I'm obsessed on Hard Steel's Dave the Raven and only my close friends know about it because it so embarrasses me (I mean, if you were obsessed with Dave the Raven you'd want your close friends to be the only ones to know about it, right?).

I'd trust people I don't see more like people on this forum :) It's not that embarrassing...

When I saw his blond hair for the first time, it was more than I could handle. So I started obsessing about him, to a point I forgot he doesn't seem to have a brain. This worries my good friends but I'm more interested in other parts of his body... like his hair, for instance.
And everytime I hear him singing "I'm going to the beach..." I completely lose control. I won't describe here what I feel, though, as under-age people may read the posts in this forum.

... OK maybe a bit :lol:

Hmm... that's so soft... sure you don't have any kinky obsession?

Extreme music can be 'kinky' hahaha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_R6aePGRJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xr34C46Fw (Listen from 3:50 onwards - not so soft :) - rather funny but maybe it's because I'm a bit mental)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLla7PpS ... re=related

What do you mean a kinky obsession? stamp collecting? :lol:
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm

I think Simon's found yet another obsession: trying to outwit me!
muskurov wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Let Jesus fuck you! Haha. God should definitely let me fuck him.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:muskurov is my new god :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I don't like this :!:
Mammon Iaho DumahUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Mammon Iaho Dumah wrote:I think Simon's found yet another obsession: trying to outwit me!

Ha!

In what way?
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Danhod wrote:
Mammon Iaho Dumah wrote:I think Simon's found yet another obsession: trying to outwit me!

Ha!

In what way?

In every possible way, come rain or shine, be upon earth or in heavens, of dusty matter or of godly ether in material or abstract form, by all means and ends, evil or good, just or mean, fine or rough, day in day out, may rhyme or not, sipped away or shot, given or denied,
and yet...
FAILING
after all. :|
muskurov wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Let Jesus fuck you! Haha. God should definitely let me fuck him.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:muskurov is my new god :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Oh, in that way! I can't help failing to fail.

What are your obsessions? (apart from me :D)
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The She-Wolf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:14 am

Danhod wrote:
Extreme music can be 'kinky' hahaha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_R6aePGRJ8~

OK, another one who thinks he's got a magic wand... next!

I like this one better, real music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uux5gfHM ... plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xr34C46Fw (Listen from 3:50 onwards - not so soft :) - rather funny but maybe it's because I'm a bit mental)

OK, got it, you're obsessed with chastity.
I, too, say yes to chastity, I mean I only f*** Dave the Raven in thought (oops, sorry, I only make love to Dave the Raven in thought). :lol:

Or maybe you're obsessed about shit!
Well, I don't wanna go into that department as I don't wish to turn this into a shitty thread.
Anyway, Marco Vassi's "The Erotic Comedies" includes a nice story about coprophilia.

What do you mean a kinky obsession? stamp collecting? :lol:

Come on, I started that collection when I was ten...
No, I mean someone collecting ladies' knickers... after having been worn, of course!
Any obscene literature?
Attachments
Dracula_HM.jpg
(43.41 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 am

Danhod wrote:Oh, in that way! I can't help failing to fail.

Nice comeback! And it's totally your very own fault that I'm obsessed with you, shouldn't have given me such a warm welcome at the first place! :/
My obsessions, apart from mathematics (mentioned earlier and explicitly dubbed as a "major obsession") and music... Well I'm a keen smoker. I've tried every single blend of tobbaco I could lay my hands on, and I've become quite a connesieour (hopefully not misspelt) in that field.
I'm also an agressive animal lover (to the point of starting street-fights on behalf of helpless animals).
Suicide: I've gathered all sorts of comparative statistical data on different methods, and analysed them carefully. I may publish my own manual one day.
That's all I can remember now.
muskurov wrote:

Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:19 pm

OK, another one who thinks he's got a magic wand... next!

That's not all i listen to you know! :P

I like this one better, real music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uux5gfHM ... plpp_video

I thought it said Electric Wizard so i was about to agree, the start was OK, then i heard the vocals :eek:

OK, got it, you're obsessed with chastity.

Not where your concerned hahaha

I, too, say yes to chastity, I mean I only f*** Dave the Raven in thought (oops, sorry, I only make love to Dave the Raven in thought). :lol:

Or maybe you're obsessed about shit!
Well, I don't wanna go into that department as I don't wish to turn this into a shitty thread.
Anyway, Marco Vassi's "The Erotic Comedies" includes a nice story about coprophilia.

No, I mean someone collecting ladies' knickers... after having been worn, of course!

Thats just sick :lol:

Any obscene literature?

Peter Sotos - Public is the only book I've read by him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sotos

(apart from the sneaky paedo crap)

Apart from that I love obscene literature but I can't afford it, music persuades me more :D Everything I buy I think 'Just think how many CD's / LP's I could have got with that!'

Mammon Iaho Dumah wrote:
Danhod wrote:Oh, in that way! I can't help failing to fail.

Suicide: I've gathered all sorts of comparative statistical data on different methods, and analysed them carefully. I may publish my own manual one day.

Please do - Danhod commands you! :whip:
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Next

Return to General Chat