My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

OBSESSION

Discuss the weather, your parents, your kids, the elections, in short anything that has nothing to do with My Dying Bride or metal, really.

Postby The She-Wolf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:25 am

rlk222 wrote:"Topic" is not feminine in English, however, at least in America, we males tend to refer to nouns such as our cars, computers, and other cherished objects in the feminine, because we cherish females. =) That's interesting to me, at least to think about.

That's why I thought all machines were feminine in English!
What I find interesting is that the concept of death is masculine in English (Mr. Death), but feminine in Portuguese and all other Roman languages I know.

BTW, I've been developing a strong interest for thermodynamics and I fear it may turn into an obsession (thermodynamics has everything to do with death).
"Se te é impossível viver só, nasceste escravo"
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby rlk222 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 am

I usually wait till about now (2 am) and drug myself and listen to an hour of music or so whilst I slowly pass out. -looks at clock- Cheers, down the hatch ! I think I'll try to make it thru Barghest before passing out tonight. Inventing new games, I am!

Edit: When trying to stay awake, don't put "A Handful of Awful Rewards" on repeat, or on your playlist when you're tired. That song is an asskicking pass-out song.
"It is my sins that you deplore
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby The She-Wolf » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:53 am

rlk222 wrote:Edit: When trying to stay awake, don't put "A Handful of Awful Rewards" on repeat, or on your playlist when you're tired. That song is an asskicking pass-out song.

Yeah, I know, MDB have some good pass-out songs, that together with Aaron's melodious voice works better than any benzodiazepine I know when I'm tired. I had little sleep last night and now I'm fighting not to pass out but good old Metallica keeps me awake!
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby myhna » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 am

whooo .. Benzodiazepine are shit. I had to take diazepam once, after a carcrash, I asked the doctor how it feels and he told me "it feels like you've had a beer or two" - did not help - I've never ever drunk beer...
after the first night on diazepam - I could not walk properly in the morning, going to the toilet was stranger than waking up while sleepwalking - I halved the dose without asking the doctor, and everything was OK...
I am definitly an owl, and I always have been, even as a child, but I am glad that I have no sleeping problems so far.

since you started this thread I am thinking about my obsessions - or what you might call obsessions...
but I still don't know. there are some things I collect somehow (noone else would collect maybe), but obsessed...
‎"Know what's weird? Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everythings's different." -Bill Watterson

Jedes Bild ist wie ein Messer ein Gebrauchsgegenstand
und lesen meint hier denken mit anderm Verstand
myhnaUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby rlk222 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:07 am

Diazepam is Valium and is dually prescribed for anxiety and a muscle relaxer, you probably got it for the latter considering you were in a car crash. Silly doctors. If you never had that shit before, and do not have severe anxiety problems, it will of course make you feel drunk, slur your speech, clumsy, black out, and not be plesant on a high dose, which I'm guessing they gave you because they were wrong enough to give you Valium instead of an actual muscle relaxer. Me, on the other hand, can eat Valium like skittles and notice no effect at all.
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby rlk222 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 am

The She-Wolf wrote:BTW, I've been developing a strong interest for thermodynamics and I fear it may turn into an obsession (thermodynamics has everything to do with death).

Thermodynamics has everything to do with Entropy/Chaos =) I nearly got the equation for the 2nd law of Thermodynamics as a tattoo, but instead got Schroedinger's Equation for the Wavefunction of a Particle instead; it summarizes the entire Universe in 1 mathematical statement.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5419_n.jpg
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby myhna » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:46 am

rlk222 wrote:Diazepam is Valium ....

sorry, i think i was wrong, it was tetrazepam.
but anyhow: I really hated the feeling...

fortunatly, after the next car crash (not my fault, again...) I got a muscle relaxer without these side effects

there are a lot of things you can do with your body and your mind without drugs - your body has enough own chemicals :sunny:
‎"Know what's weird? Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everythings's different." -Bill Watterson

myhnaUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby The She-Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 am

rlk222 wrote:Thermodynamics has everything to do with Entropy/Chaos =) I nearly got the equation for the 2nd law of Thermodynamics as a tattoo, but instead got Schroedinger's Equation for the Wavefunction of a Particle instead; it summarizes the entire Universe in 1 mathematical statement.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is the Law of Increasing Disorder. Entropy is the mathematical expression of disorder.
When an isolated system reaches its state of maximum disorder, it is said to have reached thermodynamic equilibrium. If left to themselves, natural systems tend to a state of maximum disorder. This state is called “equilibrium.”
The universe as a whole seems to be following the Law of Increasing Disorder and eventual equilibrium. The equilibrium universe seems to be a situation in which everything is at the same temperature, and all forms of energy are converted to internal energy. In other words, the universe is using up all its available useful energy. No further energy-changing processes of which we know would then be possible. The equilibrium universe would be a dead universe (thus the connection with death). This is a disturbing thought.

I thought the wave function (probability curve) “only” contained all the information about the possibilities of where the electron might be, as well as a description of the probabilities to assign to those possibilities (probability densities). Why do you say it summarizes all the Universe?

BTW, nice tattoo.
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby rlk222 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:41 am

Everything is made of particles, it describes the behavior (to the best of our understanding) of them, so it describes the basis of everything. Also, I think it's worthy of ink because of its status as a breakthrough in human understanding of the universe in which we live, a huge step. Thanks, by the way, for he compliment on the tattoo =) And you are dead right, about the 2nd law, you just gave the textbook definition, but you could also say its just plain universal chaos, decay, and death sentence all rolled up in one thing. It would be a cool tattoo also, but the equation is much shorter and the one I got tattooed looked cooler I thought, which factored in, hahaa.

Side note: It IS cool to know that something as massive as the Universe is dying, just the same as we do, and everything else does. Even black holes die. I love that stuff. I would have taken a physics degree and taught, but I hate math to be honest. So, I am doing coursework to be an English teacher. Very low standards for math. Still had to take 2 math courses, nontheless, though! Assholes.
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby The She-Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:26 am

Our knowledge of the Universe is only in its embryonary state, so I follow what's going on in the field of Astrophysics with great enthusiasm.
I have a keen interest for such matters such as dark energy, dark matter, antimatter and, of course, black holes. If I hadn't taken Biology/Genetics I'd probably have taken Astrophysics or Particle Physics. The Universe has always fascinated me, even as a child.

Now I don't feel much like doing research again, except in some areas that I really love, like population Genetics and Astrobiology (as for the latter, there's a group working for NASA but I'm aware I'm not big enough to work for NASA).

Maths is beautiful, the greatest creation of humankind, IMO. Just think of all the stuff that was predicted by Einstein's equations. And physicists still have to detect gravitational waves.

Yeap, Schrödinger's equation is cool, and looks very mystical :)
The She-WolfUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby rlk222 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:39 am

Mystical - thanks - that's what I was going for. Most people think it's some weird language and don't even know it's just partial differential equations or whatever haha.
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Mammon Iaho Dumah » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm

I used to be into Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics as a teen-ager! I wanted to be a physicist and that was what got me into reading mathematics! And then I found that I love mathematics a million times more... I is my major obsession now!
And rlk222, I totally agree with your point about chemically enhancing (!) yourself! I personally see no point in living in a world where there is...
No nicotine...
No benzodiazepines...
No alcohol...
No inhalants...
No coffeine...

WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT of listening to music withat being a little bit high on something?!

And... The She-Wolf... As a mathematician, I LOVED your previous post! :devilsign:
muskurov wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Let Jesus fuck you! Haha. God should definitely let me fuck him.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:muskurov is my new god :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I don't like this :!:
Mammon Iaho DumahUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby muskurov » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:25 pm

cool tattoo, we carved this equation on a pumpkin last Halloween :) as a fellow mathematician this discussion warms my hearth.
I was obssesed with kinematics adnd fluid mechanichs in highschool, then in the university I fell in love with fractals and wavelets.
There's a lot of beauty and "magic" in science still to be discovered.
Lately I'm into chess. Anyone playing?
muskurovUser avatar

Postby myhna » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Mammon Iaho Dumah wrote:And rlk222, I totally agree with your point about chemically enhancing (!) yourself! I personally see no point in living in a world where there is...
No nicotine...
No benzodiazepines...
No alcohol...
No inhalants...
((no coffeine))

WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT of listening to music withat being a little bit high on something?!
:

so you don't know the beauty of PURE music?
;)

i don't think you are (ony) enhancing yourself, my experience is that it cuts off something else, maybe something important...
your mind... your brain is more capable than you think

myhnaUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby rlk222 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:25 pm

We can agree to disagree, but I never liked music as much whilst totally dead sober as if I had a good beer buzz on. I think it's true for many people.

Math is awesome, I just suck at high end math.
Last edited by rlk222 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count them fair,
For I have more."
rlk222User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat