My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Bands you like MORE THAN MDB :P

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Another perfidious subject from me :P Name some bands you like more than your beloved MDB. Try to say why :)

To tell you the truth, MDB is in the top-10 bands, and goes together with:

1.SLAYER - the best thrash metal band ever, perhaps the best band EVER.
2.METALLICA - if it weren't for them, the majority of metal bands wouldn't be here. Plus, everytime I hear any of their old stuff, my head bangs as if independent from my body :D
3.PINK FLOYD - legend, what can I say?
4.OPETH - kiss-ass death metal/atmospheric band; one time they managed to turn my whole musical fascination upside down. Great stuff, recommended to all open-minded people.
5.ARCTURUS - great music, can't really say more.
6.EMPEROR - THE best Bm band ever.
7.LACRIMOSA - I used to listen to their music all the time and couldn't really understand how it's possible to make such great music.
8.DEATH - the greatest death metal band ever, extraordinary riffs, incredible solos - Chuck Schuldiner is my private Jesus :)

Ok, i'll give you some more later :P

PS:Hope this thread doesn;t go to the trashcan :P
Last edited by VoiceOfCommonSense on Tue May 29, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoiceOfCommonSenseUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Unpoet » Tue May 29, 2007 9:52 pm

In no particular order:

1- Marilyn Manson: because it was the band that changed my likes and dislikes. I mean, it showed me that there are other things in the world besides MTV and stupid things that teenagers like doing.
2- Opeth: I like their lyrics, their guitars and their sound, but it's a band that I don't listen it too much.
3- Epica: I know it's kinda 'soft' but I like some songs of them.
4- Old Dead Tree: It reminds me to some good things that happend in my life.
5- Arch Enemy : Very good albums, cool voices. Best music for my headbang.
6- Moonspell: Great albums, great atmosphere, great band. \m/
7- Smashing Pumpkins: Can't explain why; some songs are absolutely amazing. I know it's totally different of all my other likes, but... I like it.
8- Cradle Of Filth: I like their atmosphere and their guitars. Dani's work is sometimes very abusing, that's why I don't feel that COF is totally good.
9- Otep: I like some songs of them and I just HATE other ones. They feel like doing Rapcore, and that's something I hate, but there are other elements that I really like listening to.
10- Therion: Great atmosphere. Fabulous.
My dry bones remain tombless.
UnpoetUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Vambo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 pm

1. Pain of Salvation
I'm a bit of a fanboy for PoS and love everything these guys have done. Wonderful music and fantastic lyrics. A band you can get your teeth into (not literally though :wink: )

2. Marillion
I've followed this mob since '84 and whilst they've had highs and lows it's been a ride I wouldn't have missed.

After those two I have a whole host of bands who share the number 3 spot inc MDB. Other bands would be Killing Joke, All About Eve, Opeth, Dream Theater, IQ, Dark Suns, Katatonia, Anathema, Wolverine, Evergrey and going back further in time the likes of Van der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Peter Hammill, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and others...
Vambo

Postby Enig » Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Okay, Bride jumps a little up and down in the top list. Sometimes they are on the top, but currently there's two groups who are sharing the top position:

Knutsen & Ludvigsen (Ludvigsen is the guy on the left). Fantastic musicians (who claims to live inside a tunnel...). Makes me proud to be norwegian, but not in the tr00 and grim way, just in the happy way :)
(another nice picture of them: http://home.no.net/gustav/eye1.jpg)

Okay, to not fill the thread with large pictures, I'll post a little one next. I just liked that K&L-picture so much :D

Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Bless them. They're making music for the apocalypse. The most important band in the world, the world just doesn't know it.
Last edited by Enig on Tue May 29, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnigUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Les Ténèbres » Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 pm

Ah, GY!BE. So nice to se others appriciate them too(;

Anathema is one of the most important bands in my life, and has been some time. I have so many memories with the two latest albums, with friends and alone, that I can't ignore the impact the music has done on me

Edvard Grieg
This guy makes my proud to be a norwegian! National romantic composer from the late 1800s. if you havn't heard him, check out Leif Ove Andsnes' recordings of his Lyric Pieces. And check out the piano sonata in E-minor. (I'm playing it on the piano at the moment).
Les TénèbresUser avatar

Postby Enig » Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Les Ténèbres wrote:Edvard Grieg

\m/

Piano concert in A minor ftw!

(Wow, did I really write that? Sicksick)
EnigUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Philosphal Night » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 pm

AnathemA of course! yeah i love them but not so much their new stuff than their old
listen to we the gods at the moment^.^
well a band you maybe don't know: the equinox ov the gods brilliant (death)/doom-metal,the old theatre of tragedy with liv (they showed me the darker side of music =) )and the old paradise lost but mostly it's not that these bands are better but they're equal
Philosphal Night

Postby gorgnar » Wed May 30, 2007 12:16 am

Because I'm more into power/melodic metal my top list is a little like this:

1. Sabaton: Maybe the coolest singer in the world of melodic metal.
2. Tad Morose: A very cool singer. Listen to the album Modus Vivendi and see for yourself.
3. Morgana Lefay: Another band with a really good singer.
4. Running Wild: Good lyrics with interesting stories.
5. Iron Savior: A good futuristic story that ties the albums together.
6. DragonForce: Power metal at it's finest. Fast and powerful.
gorgnar

Postby Enig » Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 am

I'm having problems with putting Grieg on the top, even if everything else fades when I listen to some of his music. I do not know what to do. Maybe I'll just put him in another category or something. He doesn't belong to this list. It just doesn't make sense to compare. Some of his tunes have always been a part of my identity. Maybe it's the national identity feeling, but there's something more, something more existential about it. I think Evert Taube also belongs in the same category as Grieg, since some of his songs mean really much to me in a totally other way than any of the songs of the bands I've considered to be better than Bride.
EnigUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Synapsed » Wed May 30, 2007 2:24 am

I can't say that I like these bands more but I listen to them equally as much as MDB

Type O Negative
Katatonia
Opeth
Agalloch
Neurosis
Isis
Maudlin of the Well

From my hey days:
Soundgarden
Tool
Stone Temple Pilots
Over thinking over analyzing, separates the body from the mind.
SynapsedUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Unearthly Rob » Wed May 30, 2007 3:37 am

Hmm, let's see:

Meshuggah
Meshuggah
Meshuggah
Meshuggah

and

Meshuggah!
Unearthly Rob

Postby Arctangent » Wed May 30, 2007 9:59 am

nine inch nails
tool / apc
ministry
therapy?
neurosis
marillion...

not many though. mdb are right up there with my favourites.
You were the light and the way, they’ll only read about.
I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out.
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough... you’re going home.
ArctangentUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Ezzi Lunara » Wed May 30, 2007 10:04 am

MDB is number one.

Anathema actually comes a close second and these two bands are equal and important bands in my life. Swallow the Sun´s Don't fall a sleep song .. I humbly thank you guys.

1. MDB
2. Anathema
3. Katatonia
5. Opeth
6. Swallow the Sun
7. Ataraxie ( yes, this French ug doom band really blew me away..amazing music )
8. Kingston Wall ... their music never dies...

These are the bands I have listened and listen quite a lot and they means a lot for me. During decades this top 8 list have changed indeed. This actually doesn't tell what I listen overall.

Recently playd also:

Tiamat
Satyricon
Dimmu Borgir
Tool
Jethro Tull
Antimatter
Metallica
Rage Against The Machine
Cause For Effect
Vader
Paradise Lost
Mustan Kuun Lapset
Ion
Salsa music ( different artists )
Nefilim
Swans

the list could go on and on... :)
Last edited by Ezzi Lunara on Thu May 31, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ezzi Lunara
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby PieceOfArt » Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 am

gorgnar wrote:Because I'm more into power/melodic metal my top list is a little like this:

1. Sabaton: Maybe the coolest singer in the world of melodic metal.

No way! I was about to edit your post to make it say "Crappiest metal band ever and a shame for everyone from Dalarna" but that would be an abuse of my power as a moderator. :D

On topic: There are no bands above MDB, but some as high as.
Pink Floyd
Anathema
Nevermore
Death
The project hate
PieceOfArtUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby crown of thorns » Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 am

Anathema
Paradise Lost
Agalloch