My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Bands you like MORE THAN MDB :P

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Postby for my fallen angel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Draconian & Paradise Lost
for my fallen angelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Rigidhandsomepoet » Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 am

* Dead Can Dance
* Kate Bush (solo artist name on album covers, but technically a band, of course)
* Cocteau Twins
* The Changelings
* Swans
* The Doors
* Throbbing Gristle/Coil
* Artesia
* Daemonia Nymphe
* Stellamara
* Synaulia
* Musica Romana
* Ved Buens Ende
* Vas
* Anathema (only the early stuff, with Darren White on vocals)

Now, I can't honestly say I love any of these "more" than MDB (apart from the top two). They're not "better" than MDB, just "different" so I love them "just as much". And I've left A LOT of artists out, purposely mostly avoiding metal as that's a whole different list really, but MDB would be in the top three of my "metal" list too! They're definitely one of my top ten bands overall, if not one of my top five... very few metal albums can even compete with "Turn Loose The Swans" or "The Angel And The Dark River", if you ask me. And this list is just for this week, it always changes apart from the first two anyway!
RigidhandsomepoetUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm

Rigidhandsomepoet wrote:* Dead Can Dance
* Kate Bush (solo artist name on album covers, but technically a band, of course)
* Cocteau Twins
* The Changelings
* Swans
* The Doors
* Throbbing Gristle/Coil
* Artesia
* Daemonia Nymphe
* Stellamara
* Synaulia
* Musica Romana
* Ved Buens Ende
* Vas
* Anathema (only the early stuff, with Darren White on vocals)

Now, I can't honestly say I love any of these "more" than MDB (apart from the top two). They're not "better" than MDB, just "different" so I love them "just as much". And I've left A LOT of artists out, purposely mostly avoiding metal as that's a whole different list really, but MDB would be in the top three of my "metal" list too! They're definitely one of my top ten bands overall, if not one of my top five... very few metal albums can even compete with "Turn Loose The Swans" or "The Angel And The Dark River", if you ask me. And this list is just for this week, it always changes apart from the first two anyway!

What splendid taste you have! DCD/Cocteaus/Swans in particular are some of my favourite ever bands.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Rigidhandsomepoet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks! I've been totally into DCD and Swans since my teens (I'm in my 30s now), but I only really got into the Cocteaus a few years ago after finally bothering to check out their back catalogue. I'd only ever heard a couple of songs by them before that. And what an amazing back catalogue it is! My most recent discovery on that list are The Changelings. That band are seriously underrated!
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:13 am

Rigidhandsomepoet wrote:Thanks! I've been totally into DCD and Swans since my teens (I'm in my 30s now), but I only really got into the Cocteaus a few years ago after finally bothering to check out their back catalogue. I'd only ever heard a couple of songs by them before that. And what an amazing back catalogue it is! My most recent discovery on that list are The Changelings. That band are seriously underrated!

It took me a long time to fully get into the Cocteaus. I first heard them about 15 years ago, I guess, and kind of/sort of liked what I heard, but I just couldn't commit myself fully as it all just seemed too...weird, somehow. Even though I was into plenty of more experimental stuff back then, and they were kind of poppy by comparison! I dunno. Anyway, these days, I can't get enough.

I will have to investigate The Changelings.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Rigidhandsomepoet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Haha, it took me a few weeks to even realise the Cocteaus were a British band! (duh) The first tracks I heard were off "Victorialand" and I thought they were foreign and just had English song titles due to Fraser's idioglossic singing style.

Yeah, The Changelings were brilliant, defunct now but with a decent back catalogue well worth exploring IMHO. Here are two beautiful tracks from their debut album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CsAs90ZwU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQ-8vfJQSI

Another band I love which are often compared to the Cocteaus (unfairly I think) are Autumn's Grey Solace. I'm listening to their debut album right now and it's a lovely, dreamy, relaxing album. ("Within The Depths Of A Darkened Forest")

I was more of a metalhead when I was younger, but the older I get, the more I appreciate mellower music, it's nice to have a bit of variety and it sort of makes listening to metal and other extreme music more of an occasional 'treat', as the contrast between it and the more 'relaxed' stuff seems even stronger.
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Previous

Return to Metal and Other Music