My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

How consistent is your taste in music?

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Postby alternaace » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone here ever experienced a dramatic change in the kind of music they like? I have found that my preferences have been fairly consistent since I was a kid. 80s music, metal, and R&B have always been my 3 favorite genres. Yes I know that is broad, as there are countless sub-genres in each of those categories.
I know alot of people who say they grew up listening to what is currently their favorite music, but I'm not sure how much that influences one's true taste. I never cared for my parents' taste in music (and vice versa!), no matter how many times I listened to it!
The 2 components of music that matter most to me are: 1) rhythm 2) guitar (pref. electric). This has never changed either.
alternaace
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I think my taste is very consistent. I enjoy music across a very wide spectrum, and I don't there are any obvious 'gaps' in my taste.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Duvessa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:00 pm

My music taste started to go harder and harder type of music until now I listen to quite big range of everything from metal to classical. There are some genres I don't like in general for example rap, hiphop and r'n'b even tho I used to listen to 2Pac when growing up :D
It is good to be without vices, but it is not good to be without temptations
~ Walter Bagehot

My Myspace page
My photos on Flickr
My blog
DuvessaUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:47 pm

I even like a bit of hip-hop, and I think people are too quick to criticise rap. Sure the mainstream stuff is dreadful and obnoxious, but people should listen to the likes Of Saul Williams - who is supremely talented and actually deconstructs and ridicules mainstream rap - before writing it off entirely.
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Les Ténèbres » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:56 pm

MySanityDoesFly wrote:I even like a bit of hip-hop, and I think people are too quick to criticise rap. Sure the mainstream stuff is dreadful and obnoxious(...)

Kanye West rocks in my opinion though, and he's quite mainstream or what? You should check out some of his stuff, I think it's really great!

Well, when I started to listen to metal some years ago I tended to listen to more black metal stuff than I do these days. But apart from that there havn't been any huge changes I think. I listen to most kinds of music, but at the moment it's mostly Tori Amos, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and The Ocean on the player.
Les TénèbresUser avatar

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Les Ténèbres wrote:Kanye West rocks in my opinion though, and he's quite mainstream or what? You should check out some of his stuff, I think it's really great!

Yeah, he's OK, but I'm put off by him being so self-centred.
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby DarkLink » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I listen to many genres of music: Metal of course but also a lot of electro and dub stuff (mostly French I have to admit ((Daft Punk, Vitalic, Miss Kittin))... And some very famous Djs like 2ManyDjs, Dj Shadow and Tiesto who are, in my opinion, far more talented than the soup you ears is used to have everyday on MTV...)

I love also classical music (in no specific order: Rachmaninov, Vivaldi, Bethoveen, Bach, Haydn...

I even listen to some Raggae music sometimes like Bob Marley of course but also the Abyssinians.

I love some rock bands as well like the chilly peppers, U2, Cranberries etc... (Was listenning to that more when I was a teens, but still, I sometimes like to listen again :) )

Old bands also like The Doors, Pink Floyd, Queen etc...

But definitely, definitely, I hate rap and hip hop !!!! Why? Simply because most of the time, the music is soooo poor ! You get only one sample repeated again and again... Plus the lyrics can also be lame...
However, I admit that sometimes you can find good lyrics. And I can tell you that I have very often the occasion to listen to some US, French rap, as some of my good friends are really into this type of music.
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Larth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:22 am

My taste hasn't changed that much since I was a kid. Guess I'll always like hard rock and metal. Plus some electronic stuff, etc...
Sometimes I feel stuck and I'd really like to find some new music to be enthusiastic about, but when I check out something I don't know yet, I usually think it's shit or boring and end up listening to the old stuff again. Finding interesting bands and musicians is very hard these days. :|
Larth

Postby Frits » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Every band I interviewed so far has mentioned how open-minded the metalaudience is and I can only confirm that. However, I'm not that keen on some crossoverprojects of different styles (hiphop and metal f.i.). I do aknowledge and respect every genre of music, going from classical music (if bombastic enough) over old school rap (not the kind that handles about having sex all the time) and yes even some popsongs (I liked the "Sweet about me" song from Gabriella Cilmi).

But off course, metal is still ranked way on top of all that, any kind of metal or hardrock really, allthough I seem to loose my interest in predictable black metal.
I Fail to find comfort in your pale cold eyes
FritsUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby shagrat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 pm

I've always been a metalhead, since I first heard Sabbath and Zeppelin many *cough* years ago when I was in my teens. I have dabbled in other genres from time to time and still enjoy them today, but I always come back to metal in one form or another.
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
shagratUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Iceicelet » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm

I have to say that my music taste is very consistent since I discovered doom metal and this happened comparatively recently..almost two years ago...It seems to me that I totally fell in love with all subgenres of doom and it fits to my mood so perfectly that I can `t imagine myself listening some other stuff so much as doom. Sometimes I can listen to my previous favorites and feelings then are pretty nostalgic. Classical music, classic rock, 80s hard rock, melancholic / gothic rock and even some pop-rock acts which left their footsteps (according to my subjective understanding) in music history not only with significant sound and atmosphere, but also with meaningful lyrics.

Nevertheless doom metal sound is the only one which absorbs in my brain completely. :P
-Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me- by H.D.Thoreau

- the fake lies that we are told and the real truths we forget -
IceiceletUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Aylin Black » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:56 am

Tyranny wrote:I listen to Metal (of course), this is my favorite genre. I also love classic music and some other instrumental songs (like some soundtracks).
Basically this is what I listen to 99,99% of the year.

haha... this is getting weird... these are exactly my choices. I like soundtracks very much...I know composers... I always pay extra-attention to a film's soundtrack. But most of the time I can't share this music with anyone. My favorites are Elliot Goldenthal and Jan A.P. Kaczmarek...
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 am

Yeah, film music interests me too...I've been studying it at university this year in fact. I'd love to work in film composition for a living, and am seriously considering going down that route.
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby nick » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:51 am

for the most part i listen to metal of any kind and punk...hardcore punk for the most part but if its good its good, you know what i mean?
Look at the stars, look at how god damn ugly the stars are.
nickUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Next

Return to Metal and Other Music