My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

How consistent is your taste in music?

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Postby Abed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:49 am

I've always been a fan of rock and metal, in fact started listening to metal music since I was young and then started exploring all the related geners and sub-geners. and for sure I alwasy listen to traditional circassian music as a part of my circassian heritage. I've never liked Pop, Rap or any similar type.
We live and die without hope
AbedUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Shalymar » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm

...I guess I'm more into Doom and Symphonic Metal, yet I also like some Gothic bands.
ShalymarUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Oxy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 am

When I was really young like 8-9 years I listened The Beatles and Oasis later, but now I listen just metal, maybe some softer stuff but rarely, but from time to time I like to listen some acoustinc songs and ballads :)

From metal I most like Gothic metal and Doom of course, but, but I also Enjoy Melodic Death,Death and Symphonic, also Trash metal is good and i like Black metal, but on the other hand, I don't like Power, Progressive :)
Did I punish you for dreaming?
Did I break your heart and leave you crying?
Do you ever dream of escaping
Don't you ever dream of escaping?

http://www.last.fm/user/AleksandarOxy
OxyUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Democritus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm

I got into music with Iron Maiden, Metallica, Manowar and Megadeth when I was 11-12 years old. Then I discovered Black Sabbath, Sodom and Savatage. When I was 16 started listening to doom, death metal, hardcore and punk music (bands like Candlemass, Cathedral, My Dying Bride, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Agnostic Front, Hatebreed, At The Gates, Dead Kennedys and much greek independent/DIY punk). After those, I explored folk metal (Skyclad, Primordial, Moonsorrow etc.) and by this I got into Jethro Tull and Thin Lizzy, and then into traditional music! Then, thanks to a friend, I started listening to jazz/blues, like Django Reinhardt, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson etc. 2 years ago I began listening to Smashing Pumpkins, Manic Street Preachers and other alt rock stuff. Then I got into classic music (Chopin, Grieg) and stoner rock (Kyuss, Nightstalker, Masters of Reality etc.). Plus to all of that I enjoy traditional greek music, but also some modern artists like Thanasis Papakonstantinou, Manos Loizos, Dionisis Savvopoulos etc. and mutch rempetiko music (Rempetiko is the black metal of Greece :P ), which carries an interesting background http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembetiko and was under prosecution during middle 30`s and middle 70`s from the fascist regimes of Greece...

p.s. sorry for my english
DemocritusUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Danae » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Rempetiko? :ok:
I'm sure they don't get it.. :lol:
''Owe to him whose heart is filled with bitter rue and who drowns in grief''
DanaeUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby BlooddrunKatharine » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 am

I grew up on classic rock, mainly Queen, then, when I was maybe 12/13, I was for a while listening to pop (shitty one, I admit :D trying to foget that part of my life, luckily it was pretty short one :D ), but then I came to female fronted metal around being 13 and it came. I was floating around in metal genres, my favourites were symphonic, gothic, black, melodeath and, of course, doom. I fell in love with MDB (still one of my fave bands and one few metal bands I still listen to LOT), MayheM, Skitliv, Shining, Children Of Bodom, Epica, Nightwish, Tristania, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Draconian...

Later on I "found" 80´s post punk/goth rock, the biggest musical love of my life. Along with goth rock, new wave and post-punk I returned to old things like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Queen (again :D ), David Bowie and also started to listening to some punk.

Currently I listen most to Bauhaus, Led Zeppelin, Sisters Of Mercy, Fields Of Nephilim, David Bowie, Adam & the Ants/Adam Ant solo, The Mission, The Doors, MDB, Theatres des Vampires, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Joy Division, etc. you can imagine :)

Apart from those I like opera and classical music, ambient, soundtracks...
So pretty much wide scale of difefrent things, but they do have something in common - they send shivers down my spine :worship:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
BlooddrunKatharineUser avatar
Novice
Novice

Postby Slynt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Very consistent, listened to all forms of metal since I was a kid :D
SlyntUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

My musical tastes never change but they are always expanding dramatically, I currently listen to:

Noise / Power Electronics / Experimental Stuff / Ambient / Electroacoustic
Doom / Drone
Early Gothic Metal
Death / Death Grind / Brutal Death Metal
Black Metal / Satanic War Metal
Jazz (Lot's of it)
Blues
Country / Folk
Some Hardcore
Classical / Opera
Some 80's / 70's stuff
Soundtracks! (Deep Throat being my No.1)
Classic Rock / Old stuff (Thin Lizzy / Roger Whittaker haha)
Foreign Instrumental (Buddhist Meditation) / Some Indian Music (Ravi Shankar mainly)
A bit of Italo Disco
Rarely some Harsh Wall Noise
Early Rap / Hip-Hop

So a lot of vaired stuff, apart from popular music, ugh, so cheesy!
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby alternaace » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am

Wow! Been so long since i posted this topic, thanks for reviving it. Incidentally, I found an article which supports a hypothesis which i've held onto for some time now.....

http://www.examiner.com/science-news-in ... be-genetic
alternaace
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Kolapso » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:42 am

First metal band I heard was Iron Maiden, that's when my music listening began proper. Some metallica, more maiden, death metal (melodic mostly), then a period heavy with Blind Guardian (power metal). then some years ago I somehow discovered Doom Metal along with folk metal and some black metal and also violins :D So now it's doom and some classical.
You lift me above myself, with the ghostly lake of your mind.
KolapsoUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Blakkheim » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, let's see:

- Obviously i listen to metal. Mostly doom, progressive, gothic, black.
- Classic / prog rock
- Classical
- Soundtracks: Especially from SF/Horror movies/video games

I also enjoy some electronic bands like The Knife.

Some genres i can't stand:

Dubstep
Mainstream "Pop"
Mainstream "Rap"
BlakkheimUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby ivofriul » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 am

when a young boy speed was all that I needed: speed thrash all the way, getting older I switched completly and now doom metal is just what I like the most. With few important exceptions like Carcass.
outside metal which is unanbiguously my main interest, I love early 70's psychedelic bands with Pink Floyd on top.
and to give a push to this very polite topic: I think all the rest is fooking annoying noise. :P
...but there's no more false truths I wish to discover,
and I am physically unable, to tread back down those corridors.
Fountain of youth, oh how I bathed in your innocence,
and now in cold repose, I must face the bitter truth...
ivofriulUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby muskurov » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

ivofriul wrote:and to give a push to this very polite topic: I think all the rest is fooking annoying noise. :P

:D

I listen to a lot of annoying noise. Like all kinds of industrial and experimental music. Still my mind strangely decides that some of it is awesome and other pieces rubbish.
What about radios? Are there any good doom or metal internet radios anyone can recommend ?
muskurovUser avatar

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 am

I remember alternaace!
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

PreviousNext

Return to Metal and Other Music