My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Favorite quotes

Discuss books, paintings, thoughts and more.

Postby PieceOfArt » Thu May 08, 2008 2:49 pm

Sometimes just one sentence can express something that normally would take a whole book to explain. Many wise words have been said in this way. Let us collect some of them here and explain why you find them useful.

One quote I find myself using a lot is "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida". I learned it from my father, who probably got it from somewhere else, many many years ago. Translated to english it would be something like "If the head is stupid the body will suffer". I don't think I'll have to explain why this expression is useful. It's funny as well. :)

There of course are a lot more words of wisdom I find great, but let's start with one.
PieceOfArtUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Ezzi Lunara » Thu May 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Here are some proverbs and quotes I like very much. It took me a while to find an english equavelents to some of them. Unfortunately, some of them are translated by myself, and therefore may not give the same impression as it would if it was written correctly.

"Omnia mea mecum porto" = I carry everything with me. Quote from Poetist Simodines.
This is brilliant proverb. People have it all the time, the most precious "proberty" they could ever get. "Under construction" for ever.

"The greater is the island of knowlidge, the longer is the shore of surprising"
So true.

"Fear is an original sin" Almost all the bad has begun by the fact that someone fears something. John Foster.
Get rid of your fears and be aware of what you read from different medias. Develope your media criticism.

"No wind, no waves" this is a Chinese proverb equalent to " There´s no fire without a smoke" I like this especially nowadays
when people create their opinions undoubtlessly through different medias. This proverb means that perhaps there
lies some truth behind the rumors. Yes, probably but without knowing the facts it´s utter stupidity to create any opinions based
on the "rumors".

"Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel" Che Guevara
Well, just look back to history. No matter what has been the system, there has been and probably will be, cruel leaders. Unfortunately.

"I know you`ve come here to kill me, shoot, coward, you`re only going to kill a man" Che Guevara
Che`s last words before he was shot/murdered. Can we actually be sure these were his last words? The ideas he represented still exists
in everyone´s hearts( they are there). Take care of the fellowman/woman. So simple.

"We are living in time where more changes happens faster than ever before in the history of mankind. Or does it really happen? Mika Mannermaa,
he`s the Professor of the future research in Finland. I´m looking forward to read his new book "Somebrother watches, knows and doesn`t forget". It is intresting to ntice that all kinds of technical devices has been created in the past one hundred years but still human has stayed pretty much the same with his feelings, needs and intelligence.

"You can cut all the flowers but you can not keep spring from coming" by Pablo Neruda. Well, there´s always a new day, if you fall, stand up and start again.

"When the night feels the most bleakest and dreary, the dawn is always near" bad translation but you got the idea. This is probably Chinese or Vietnamese proverb.

"I don`t love you as if you were a rose as salt, topaz arrow of carnations that propagate fire. I love you as one of those certain dark things, secretly, between the shadow and the soul" Pablo Neruda.
This is just so wonderful, just found it.

oh and one more in finnish ... "Ahneella on paskainen loppu" :-) perhaps one proverb would`ve been ok for the start but I got a bit greedy on the way :P I`m not sure what is the english equalent but it meens that greedy pigs has always shitty ending.

We drain our oceans and suck all the blood out of the soil
We spend the time we have left fighting and killing each other
Lust for comfort, entertainment becomes an obsession
and there is so much time to kill
Ezzi Lunara
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Thu May 08, 2008 9:40 pm

'I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't wanna be there when it happens.' - Woody Allen

Probably the best quote ever :)
VoiceOfCommonSenseUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

There's a great quote by someone whose name escapes me.

I forget how it went.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Sympathy » Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 pm

“The only laws of matter are those that our minds must fabricate and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.”
James Clerk Maxwell

"Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children."
"Alcohol is a very necessary article... It makes life bearable to millions of people who could not endure their existence if they were quite sober. It enables Parliament to do things at eleven at night that no sane person would do at eleven in the morning."
George Bernard Shaw

"Everything is pathology, except for indifference. "
Cioran

I'll add more some other time...
I'm the one who laughs for last and laughs forever more!
Sympathy
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Les Ténèbres » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 pm

"Suppose I broke into your house, killed your family, locked you in a cage, threw out all your stuff, redecorated according to my tastes, and called it "growth" because I used to have one house and now have two, or called it "development" because I replaced your stuff with my own. That's exactly what civilization does, to nature, to nonhumans, to nature-based humans, even to humans in other branches of civilization." - Ran Prieur

I have read some articles by him, lots of great ideas in my opinion, but I don't agree with everything. I think it's a great quote though.
Les TénèbresUser avatar

Postby Azz » Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 am

VoiceOfCommonSense wrote:'I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't wanna be there when it happens.' - Woody Allen

Most disgusting creature I ever saw!

Indifference breeds indifference.
AzzUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby DarkLink » Fri May 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Oscar Wilde is also famous for his aphorisms and witticism so I chose him as my favourite author of quotes. Here are some written after The Picture Of Dorian Gray:

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.

The supreme vice is shallowness.
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm

DarkLink wrote:Oscar Wilde is also famous for his aphorisms and witticism so I chose him as my favourite author of quotes. Here are some written after The Picture Of Dorian Gray:

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.

The supreme vice is shallowness.

Those are all superb. Oscar Wilde was indeed a master of literature and of the one-liner.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby RWHN » Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 pm

A Conclusion is Simply Where You Stopped Thinking -- Rev. What's-His-Name?

Black Sheep are Still Sheep -- DJ Rubberducky

The revolution has abandoned you --- you're on your own now -- P3nt4gr4m
RWHNUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Storm » Sun May 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, there's the one in my signature:

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything", from Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

It's not that I really find that kind of philosophy to be realistic because of my limited trust in the word "freedom", but it's a great quote anyway, and it describes the whole book so well in just a single sentence. Just a long downward spiral where destruction become a form of art in itself, they follow their philosophy so completly that self-destruction becomes a form of life. They destroy everything to be free, tear down everything others has ever build up, because society is worthless in itself. It's like the complete form of nihilism.

"Multipple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind," Terry Pratchett.

I'm not annoyed by simple grammatical errors or anything, but there's really no need to consiously try to make mistakes when you write!!!!!!!! Because it makes you sound hysterical and manic!!!!!!!!! Grammatical rules are there for a reason, don't you think??!?!??!?!!!!1111!!

"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?" from Donnie Darko.

Yeah, not very original of me to have that as a favourite, but I like the way such a simple sentence puts a question mark behind, well, everything.
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Ezzi Lunara » Mon May 19, 2008 6:24 pm

"We can`t solve the problems created by ourselves by using the same thinking what created the problems" Albert Einstein

"Inventions has reached their limits a long time ago and I do not see any hope of developement in the future" Julius Sextus Frontinus, A.D. 10 (a Roman engeneer) :D

We drain our oceans and suck all the blood out of the soil
We spend the time we have left fighting and killing each other
Lust for comfort, entertainment becomes an obsession
and there is so much time to kill
Ezzi Lunara
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby J1 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 am

Ezzi Lunara wrote:"We can`t solve the problems created by ourselves by using the same thinking what created the problems" Albert Einstein

He's a great source of quotes. One of my faves by Einstein:

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

"Inventions has reached their limits a long time ago and I do not see any hope of developement in the future" Julius Sextus Frontinus, A.D. 10 (a Roman engeneer) :D

The more modern counterpart to that:

"640K of memory should be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates

(although to be fair, apparently he never actually said this)
"We have art that we do not die of the truth"
             -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Recently played:
J1User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Sear » Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm

A rough translation:
"For the Past we are yet unborn, for the Future we are already dead."
" No symphony in mind to color my dreams..."
SearUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 am

"You own a 100.000 forks but you need a spoon"
(Can't remember who I'm quoting.)

"In the long run we are all dead"
(Keynes)

"Haben Sie Feur? Dann können wir ficken!"
(Only funny if you understand Dutch and German, but still)

"A liar should have a good memory"
(Quintilian)

"Supergosse adore le jus d'orange"
(never left my mind after one of my first French classes.)

": Shut the door!
: Je t'aime aussi!"
( Speaking of French)

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the god"
(Albert Einstein)

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others"
(Nietzsche as well)

And many more...
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Next

Return to Arts, Literature and Philosophy