My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Religion vs Science

Discuss books, paintings, thoughts and more.

Which, if any, do you subscribe to?

Science
60%
Religion
4%
Both in conjunction
19%
Neither
18%

Total votes : 57

Postby J1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 am

Cool, a science vs. religion debate :)

I answered science, although I would like to slightly amend that to "science and philosophy". The fact of the matter is that where science, philosophy and religion disagree on the way the universe works, science usually has the facts on its side, philosophy has logic on its side, whereas religion has little to show for its position except a leap of faith based on scripture, dogma and a lot of twisted rhetoric.

Religious people tend to attack straw men like "science does not have all the answers" (nobody claimed that it does, and, for that matter, neither does religion). And we have seen in the past that as science progresses, religion retreats. The weather was the domain of god until science came up with theories about how climate works. The creation of man was the domain of god until science showed how evolution works. Religion has been marginalized to the role of "stop gap" explanation for everything we do not (yet!) have a scientific explanation for.

Of course it is possible that some higher being exists. Science can not disprove that. But allow me to quote a famous bit by Bertand Russell that is relevant to this observation:

"If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."

So for me, personally, science and philosophy together completely and utterly make religion obsolete as far as factual truth goes.

Regardless of truth, religion is, of course, an important cultural phenomenon, but whether or not it is a desirable cultural phenomenon is also doubtful. Given the amount of violence, bigotry and human suffering inherent in most religious systems, I'd say we might be better off without it.
"We have art that we do not die of the truth"
             -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Recently played:
J1User avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Frits » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:47 pm

I only believe what can be proved (or is it proven? My english sucks), so my vote goes to science. even though it has its shortcomings and I do like to write about fictional things, like unproved (unproven?) theories in the lyrics for my band.

The fact that there are so many different approaches and religious interpretations, shows that none of them contains any kind of truth. But some religions are used to base ones education on. I was raised the christian way, but I do not feel any kind of commitment to it, neither do I believe a word of the bible.
I Fail to find comfort in your pale cold eyes
FritsUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby muskurov » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Ilona wrote:I've yet to see anyone scientifically prove that a God doesn't exist. :P

The religious believers are the one who have to prove that god exists. After all it is thier own theory. If I claim that gravity exists I would have to and will prove it to you. I wouldn't expect you to prove it doesn't.
muskurovUser avatar

Postby Lycaon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:18 pm

muskurov wrote:
Ilona wrote:I've yet to see anyone scientifically prove that a God doesn't exist. :P

The religious believers are the one who have to prove that god exists. After all it is thier own theory. If I claim that gravity exists I would have to and will prove it to you. I wouldn't expect you to prove it doesn't.

Logically it is impossible to prove non-existence in the first place. :wink:
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby muskurov » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Ilona wrote:The main point I was trying to communicate still stands, though. I don't see why the two should be mutually exclusive.

They should not be.
My opinion is that when science answers a lifelong question, which was before answered only by religion (and the answer is always "God"), then is the moment that religious people start to be offensive against science. I don't think that scientist actually care much about what others believe in. But when an experiment or research shows a hole in one's system of beliefs he/she is outraged and vicious.
muskurovUser avatar

Postby firebird » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Somehow it is obsolete to emphasize science´s correctness - everybody who claims different...well...
Besides from that, what makes science sympathetic is the fact that people don´t kill each other in its name. Passion is nice, but it should never lead to that.
Life is a mouth only death can feed
(J.H. Fabre)

owlonfire on deviantart.com
firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby firebird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 pm

The word "believe" does never come up in science. I think science and religion are completely different, fortunately. When someone blames science for demysticating and demoralizing he or she would obviously kill and destroy without a holy script. I sometimes wonder why hethan nature folks or lost babies like mowgli are no cruel psychopaths. Should there be something else that is falsely said to depend on religious education?
firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby firebird » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Watch the news, and if you still need a proove then...
(J.H. Fabre)

firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lychfowel » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:31 am

Science, because religion isn't helpful at all.
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby firebird » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Well, nevertheless...is this question meant serious?!
(J.H. Fabre)

firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Melkoroth » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

Pagan religion was based on science, every pagan symbol or ritual has scientific origin. Valhalla is womb and nutrients that you get from the cord is the mead the "warrriors" drink.
There is much more to say.
I can only recommend watching this playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJokYgX ... 5XQc2QuW9F it explains paganism very well.

Paganism is science explained by myths.
MelkorothUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby firebird » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 pm

But the most recent explanaitions maybe are too new to be found there?
(J.H. Fabre)

firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby firebird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Nevertheless I am stunned about the fact that this question seems to arise again within many societies.
(J.H. Fabre)

firebirdUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Return to Arts, Literature and Philosophy