My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Philosophy on the free will

Discuss books, paintings, thoughts and more.

What do you belief in?

Free will
30%
Determinism
20%
Free will within determinism
45%
I'm not done with metaphysical doubt yet
5%

Total votes : 20

Postby nick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm

DarkLink wrote:And what about scepticism and pessimism ?

How is that relevant? I don't want to sound rude, but I don't understand what you mean
Look at the stars, look at how god damn ugly the stars are.
nickUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Lycaon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 am

@ Nick: Basically determinism is just the thought that everything has a cause. So everything that happens is causal and therefore it cannot happen otherwise than it actually happens. If this still is a little vague and you want to fully understand what determinsm is, I'd sugest you take some interest in this link.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/determinism-causal/

It's a long read though.

@ J1: Funny you mention Dennett, some of my thoughts about determinism are based on his body mind philosophy.
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby necros » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:28 pm

well, in my opinion there is no free will, what we will do is definited from the acts of all the people...their acts influence how we act...

sorry for the misunderstanding... :( :P
While the curse of the God, was sadly crying over my body, i was ready to sacrifice the death of my son and the innocence of my stars...
necros
Novice
Novice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:39 pm

necros wrote:well, in my opinion there is no free will, what we will do is definited from the acts of all the people...their acts influence how we act...

:beerchug:
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby nick » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:23 pm

what about people that live totally alone? how can their choices be influenced by society if they live outside of it? of course you could say it was because of society that they choose to live alone, but after that it seems to me your choices would be made without any outside influences.
Look at the stars, look at how god damn ugly the stars are.
nickUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:51 pm

As soon as you're born (even before) you're being influenced by the world around you.

Even if you were somehow able to spend your whole life in an enclosed space with no contact with the outside, that very circumstance itself would influence you...even the tiny details in the walls you'd be forced to stare at would affect your behaviour.
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Oxy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:23 pm

I am sorry if i interrupted someone's discussion in this thread, but i found this topic as well as interesting as other topics
Well, my beliefs are, that what you imagine is real, that is real..that everything we fucking see, feel or do is just in our head, that there is no real existence or meaning of life, but that people still aren't intellectual mature enough to consciously control that..People use, just some % of brain, and like more than 80% of brain is not used in everyday situations, and it's not known what's it for..Stuff like telekinesis and other abilities pull together with what i adduced before..i mean if it's able to move things with concentration why wouldn't you be able to create anything you imagine? Or do what ever you wish to do? If you get what I mean. I think this is a very interesting topic to discuss, what do you guys think?
Did I punish you for dreaming?
Did I break your heart and leave you crying?
Do you ever dream of escaping
Don't you ever dream of escaping?

http://www.last.fm/user/AleksandarOxy
OxyUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Halion » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:20 am

Free will exists under the boundaries set by the majority and a single mind may bend the rules to which this applies.
Placement is determined at birth and retracted sometimes many years after death.
Halion
Novice
Novice

Postby dein » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:23 am

I believe in free will. But there are forces that control that free will, the limitations constrict us and the powers that be can make a person a follower a leader an outcast... Or a criminal.

A follower can relate to the "system" because a leader told them that it was right. A leader could be a entrepreneur, magazine, political figure, T.V or a celebrity. An outcast could be a rebel against society someone that doesn't conform or fit in but still abides to the laws of the system, sometimes they don't and fight against the system like activists or terrorists. Often times when the system inst working for someone it can lead to extremes such as crime. Of course there are people who weave in between these classification. Then there are the broken ones, the insane and malfunctioning oddities. (Serial killers and such) (Then there are the watchers... Those meant to witness the choices of others and can see beyond the conformity)

I can see how life is pre-determined and influenced by other peoples actions. Some would also call this Fate and destiny.

I believe, If you look at life as a tree then you would see it is a seedling, roots, trunk, limbs, twigs and leaves. It grows, it produces, it lives unconstrained but it is subjected to our fate. The tree doesn't need us to live and a tree is completely self sufficient as long as it has Earth.

Fate/life is just like a tree. Our paths are the limbs, the branches are our choices and the leaves are the destines to those choices.

Well that's my look at it anyway.
deinUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Tomgar18 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:21 am

I voted for determinism as I believe man has no "human nature" or "free will." Humans, in my modest view, are an entirely socially informed species, our actions, thoughts, preferences are all moulded by circumstance and our social and material environment/circumstances. I cite Marx on this as, to me, he wrote the most persuasive account of human nature (under which falls free will, or the concept of free will).
"UGH!"
Tomgar18User avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue May 22, 2012 3:28 am

Tomgar18 wrote:I voted for determinism as I believe man has no "human nature" or "free will." Humans, in my modest view, are an entirely socially informed species, our actions, thoughts, preferences are all moulded by circumstance and our social and material environment/circumstances. I cite Marx on this as, to me, he wrote the most persuasive account of human nature (under which falls free will, or the concept of free will).

Marx :worship:
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Tomgar18 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 am

MySanityDoesFly wrote:
Tomgar18 wrote:I voted for determinism as I believe man has no "human nature" or "free will." Humans, in my modest view, are an entirely socially informed species, our actions, thoughts, preferences are all moulded by circumstance and our social and material environment/circumstances. I cite Marx on this as, to me, he wrote the most persuasive account of human nature (under which falls free will, or the concept of free will).

Marx :worship:

That's a much more pleasant reaction than what I usually get from people when I mention my dawg Karl, ie. "You some kinda red!?!" :P
"UGH!"
Tomgar18User avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 am

Haha, same. I usually just get a funny look, or the person I'm talking to stops talking to me :-P

I really should hang out with cooler people...
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Tomgar18 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:22 am

To that, sir, I have but one response:

:P
"UGH!"
Tomgar18User avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Tomgar18 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:23 am

Damn, it seems to have cropped off half the image! Well you get the idea haha