My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

What are your favourite books?

Discuss books, paintings, thoughts and more.

Postby Les Ténèbres » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 am

I just discussed this with my gf, and I find it really hard to set down a list, but i'll try.

(no distinct order)

Pan - Knut Hamsun
I just read this one. It's so beautiful, and.. I don't have words. Anyone else who have read it?

1984 - George Orwell
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Children of Húrin - J.R.R. Tolkien
Beatles - L. Saabye Christensen
Harry Potter series - J.R Rowling
His Dark Materials - P. Pulman
The Knightemplars books - J. Guillou

And soon I'll remember all the books I've forgotten. :wink:
Last edited by Les Ténèbres on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Les TénèbresUser avatar

Postby Storm » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:38 am

Difficult to say, really. I've read so many books, but few who truly deserves to be called favourites.

Les Ténèbres wrote:Pan - Knut Hamsund
I just read this one. It's so beautiful, and.. I don't have words. Anyone else who have read it?

Seriously? I think Hamsun is the most overrated Norwegian author of all time, even more than Ibsen... Sure, always nice with nature descriptions and all that, but to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like a poet but failing miserably. And he never truly enter the mind of the characters, he describes their actions, but not why they do what they do. Hemningway style, without the writing skills. And I think one of the best things about literature is that you're allowed to enter another person's mind.

There is only one Norwegian author for me, and that is and will always be Jens Bjørneboe. :D

As for other books:
George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire. The best fantasyseries ever.
Patrick Süskind - The Perfume
Tolkien in general.
Douglas Adams in general.
Jane Austen in general.
Andre Bjerke in general.
Jan Guillou - The Knighttemplar books.
Elizabeth Wurtzel - Prozac Nation
Paulo Coelho - Veronica Decides to Die. Pretty boring start, but it's really good after she meets all the other mental patients in the hospital...
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Les Ténèbres » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:59 am

Storm wrote:Difficult to say, really. I've read so many books, but few who truly deserves to be called favourites.

Les Ténèbres wrote:Pan - Knut Hamsun

Seriously? I think Hamsun is the most overrated Norwegian author of all time, even more than Ibsen... Sure, always nice with nature descriptions and all that, but to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like a poet but failing miserably. And he never truly enter the mind of the characters, he describes their actions, but not why they do what they do. Hemningway style, without the writing skills. And I think one of the best things about literature is that you're allowed to enter another person's mind.

Yeah, seriously. Ibsen is overrated by far, sure. Well, I've only read Sult and Pan, but I really like those.
As for Pan(have you read it?), Hamsun describes all the actions how the main character experience them. In the epilog another person describes the main character, and because of that one understands why he acts like he does - in some way.

And some of the point in Hamsuns writings may be that some folk do irrational things - when for instance in love, or in great need.
Les TénèbresUser avatar

Postby Sear » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:46 pm

heh...it was about time that such a topic would appear on this forum!
Favorite books....well...there are quite a few, and actually, now, i can't remember them all!
But i'll start with some that changed my perspective of life in general: "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoievski, closely fallowed by "Demons".It's been almost 2 years since i last read them...but the last one troubles me even now....I really consider Dostoieski as a genius.
....and the list will continue...
P.S.: i love reading gothic literature...starting with Horace Walpole....finishing with Anne Rice...
SearUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Warspirit » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:15 pm

I mostly read historical books. Love the ones which are about WW2 with alot of division names and numbers everywhere :P
Also books which are about the crusades, antiquity and roman empire are fun to read. Always interesting to know about what happend in the past :D
Warspirit

Postby Sear » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Warspirit wrote:I mostly read historical books. Love the ones which are about WW2 with alot of division names and numbers everywhere :P
Also books which are about the crusades, antiquity and roman empire are fun to read. Always interesting to know about what happend in the past :D
...reminds me of Maurice Druon's Les Rois Maudits( The Accursed kings)....amazing book....
SearUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Aylin Black » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Well... at some point every book I read becomes my favourite.... for a period of time.

In a time there was Homer, then Goethe's Faust and Dante's Inferno.... Byron as well... Still... I must say... The Vampir4e Chronicles by A. Rice... The History of realigions by Eliade. I mostly read books about religions and stuff... or... if we reffer to poetry... The French symbolists
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:43 pm

Damn... Too many of them to mention all... Still, basically I'm mostly into English Gothic Novels, such as Lewis's 'Monk', Madame Radcliff, Walpole's 'Castle of Otranto' and stuff like this... I also love the three milestones of horror fiction: 'Frankenstein', 'Strange Case of dr Jekyll and Mr. hyde' and, most of all, 'Dracula'... Apart from these I'd have to mention Orwell, Barnes, Kafka, Twain, Heller and many many more...

BTW, Rice;s Vampire Chronicles suck :P I mean, how gay can a vampire be?
VoiceOfCommonSenseUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Aylin Black » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 pm

@VoiceOfCommonSense.... haha... my buddy sais "Good evening".... (in case you don't know my buddy is Dracula... I don't know if you were on the former forum)... And about Rice.. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Thanks to her I'm not in the monastery at the moment... :lol:
~Lily
Being The Cunt of Darkness since October 2006.

"I am an Anne Rice novel came to life"

MDB tribute project: email torturetonal@gmail.com
Aylin BlackUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Frankenstein » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:51 pm

Will Self- Great Apes
Douglas Adams- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Philip Pullman- Northern Lights
Tolkien- Lord of the Rings
Eugene O'Neill- Long Day's Journey into Night
Patrick Süskind- Perfume
Louis de Bernières- Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Ödön von Horváth- Jugend ohne Gott

I think that's a pretty definitive list :)
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

http://droneslut.bandcamp.com
FrankensteinUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Aylin Black wrote:@VoiceOfCommonSense.... haha... my buddy sais "Good evening".... (in case you don't know my buddy is Dracula... I don't know if you were on the former forum)... And about Rice.. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Thanks to her I'm not in the monastery at the moment... :lol:

yeah, good choice ! :) Say hello to your buddy - I owe him a kick in the nuts, 'coz thanx to him I had to read through all these bulky volumes concerning vampires in order to write my MA Thesis :P
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lunanen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Sear wrote:heh...it was about time that such a topic would appear on this forum!
Favorite books....well...there are quite a few, and actually, now, i can't remember them all!
But i'll start with some that changed my perspective of life in general: "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoievski, closely fallowed by "Demons".It's been almost 2 years since i last read them...but the last one troubles me even now....I really consider Dostoieski as a genius.
....and the list will continue...
P.S.: i love reading gothic literature...starting with Horace Walpole....finishing with Anne Rice...

Now that is something I could never understand....Ok, well, Crime and Punishment is more or less tolerable in my opinion, but say Brothers Karamazoff....uff...I quit after 50 pages....if not sooner. Just wondering...did you read the original or a translation? And of course, it's all a matter of taste, probably...

VoiceOfCommonSense wrote:yeah, good choice ! :) Say hello to your buddy - I owe him a kick in the nuts, 'coz thanx to him I had to read through all these bulky volumes concerning vampires in order to write my MA Thesis :P

interesting....what was your topic?

My list...well, there isn't any. There are so many great authors and books....genres...all different and fascinating. I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island, and I really enjoy it. Rushdie is pretty much a fav. author. A really light and enjoyable read is Timbuktu by Auster. I enjoy various authors' works among the favourites are Lermontov, Fet, Turgenev, the Strugatsky brothers, J. Barnes, A.Carter, Blake, Byron...uff....it's endless really... I just like to read..
The last book that impressed me a great deal was 100 years alone by Marques. :D
lunanen

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:54 pm

lunanen wrote:
VoiceOfCommonSense wrote:yeah, good choice ! :) Say hello to your buddy - I owe him a kick in the nuts, 'coz thanx to him I had to read through all these bulky volumes concerning vampires in order to write my MA Thesis :P

Basically The Myth of The Vampire in Western Tradition, Literature and Culture...

It was pretty cool to write this, but it's so fucking hard to get some decent books on the subject here in Poland... Especially if you have to write the whole thesis in English... that's why it took me a lot of effort to finish it, but after a year and a half I was done... I've just handed it in today, so keep your thumbs up :)
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby lunanen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:06 pm

VoiceOfCommonSense wrote:
lunanen wrote:

Basically The Myth of The Vampire in Western Tradition, Literature and Culture...

It was pretty cool to write this, but it's so fucking hard to get some decent books on the subject here in Poland... Especially if you have to write the whole thesis in English... that's why it took me a lot of effort to finish it, but after a year and a half I was done... I've just handed it in today, so keep your thumbs up :)

Heeey! congratulations!!! *thumbs up* will you have to defend it a bit later?
I bet it's a very informative and unputdownable work! mind if i have a look at it? :) My thesis was about Cockney in Literature. And yeah, I like Dickens! :D
lunanen

Postby VoiceOfCommonSense » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:28 pm

lunanen wrote:
VoiceOfCommonSense wrote:
lunanen wrote:

Heeey! congratulations!!! *thumbs up* will you have to defend it a bit later?
I bet it's a very informative and unputdownable work! mind if i have a look at it? :) My thesis was about Cockney in Literature. And yeah, I like Dickens! :D

Nice topic! I'm defending it on 3rd of July - so it's like 3 weeks left :D There's a lot of reading for me to do before that date, but I hope it's all gonna be fine :)

Basically, we are really free to write about anything, so that's why some of the topics in my University seems so 'underground' :) There's a friend of mine who writes about the sexuality of angels in English Literature, another one chose to elaborate upon Alchemy in faust and stuff like this, so it's really a lot of good stuff to read... Pity I'm not a professor :)

Oh and btw, I enjoy occasional Dickens, too :D
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Next

Return to Arts, Literature and Philosophy