My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Draconian

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Which of the following is your favourite album?

Where Lovers Mourn (2003)
18%
Arcane Rain Fell (2005)
32%
The Burning Halo ( 2006)
11%
Turning Season Within (2008)
36%
Shades of a Lost Moon (Demo, 1995-1996)
2%
The Closed Eyes of Paradise (Demo, 1999)
No votes
Dark Oceans We Cry (Demo, 2002)
No votes

Total votes : 44

Postby DarkLink » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:21 pm

One interesting thing about Draconian, is that they quote MDB as one of their main influence.
It's been a while since I wanted to create a topic about this band. I know that most of you really enjoy listenning Draconian, and so do I. With their last album, Turning Season Within, I thought it was time to share our impression about it and about all the discography as well.

I personally love most of their work, and I wish to have the opportunity to see them live someday. Did you manage to see them already ?

Here is a brief biography of the band found on wiki. Give your opinion!

In May 1994, drummer and vocalist Johan Ericson, bassist and vocalist Jesper Stolpe and guitarist Andy Hindenäs assembled the band Kerberos, initially playing death metal with black metal influences. Seven months later, lead vocalist and lyricist Anders Jacobsson joined the band, and its name changed to Draconian.

Their first demo — Shades of a Lost Moon — was recorded on October, 1995, a week subsequent to their first live concert. The demo counted with flutist and vocalist Jessica Eriksson, keyboardist and vocalist Susanne Arvidsson and with a special participation of Andreas Haag on the introductory section of "My Nemesis". The album was released on February of 1996. The band was then joined by guitarist Magnus Bergström.

No recording contract was obtained with Shades of a Lost Moon, so in early 1997 the band proceeded to record their second demo, entitled In Glorious Victory. The band, however, became discontented with the quality of the recording and discontinued the release.

In the following months, two members of Draconian had to complete their military service, slowing down the progress of the band. Their rehearsals, however, continued to some degree. Susanne Arvidsson left the band due to personal reasons and was replaced by Andreas Karlsson.

Both in 1998 and 1999, the band made concerts. After receiving positive reactions, they decided to enter studio once more. In August of 1999, Draconian recorded Closed Eye of Paradise, an album dealing mostly with the theme of Lucifer and his fallen angels. Susanne Arvidsson made guest vocal appearances on this release. The album was, however, badly produced, and the band decided to spend time polishing it before a release was attempted. Between May and June of 2000, Andreas Karlsson, Anders Jacobsson, and Johan Ericson worked on the recorded material, improving the mix of the instruments and correcting effects. The demo was then released.

Draconian's style had by then become slower and darker, and reflecting this, the 2-track promotional Frozen Features was released on CD format and over the internet. Guitarist Andy Hindenäs left the band and was replaced by drummer Johan Ericson; drums were then left to Jerry Torstensson, who joined the band. Concurrent with these line-up changes, the band's demo was receiving positive feedback from critics of the gothic metal scene. A final demo entitled Dark Oceans We Cry was recorded in 2002, being followed by a contract with label Napalm Records.

The debut album Where Lovers Mourn was recorded under the supervision of Chris Silver (ex-Sundown and Cemetary) in July 2003 and was released three months later. Most of the songs were re-recordings of their earlier compositions. A support tour followed.

Draconian's next release was the concept album Arcane Rain Fell, from 2005, which apart from new songs features a new version of their 15-minute long epic "Death, Come Near Me", and also counts with Ryan Henry (from Necare) as a guest. They released The Burning Halo in 2006 after several delays.

In September 2007, Draconian began recording their fourth album, Turning Season Within at the Fascination Street Studios in Örebro with producers Jens Bogren and David Castillo (Opeth, Katatonia).

Where Lovers Mourn

Arcane Rain Fell

The Burning Halo

Turning Season Within

I added a poll as well. Very tough choice indeed^^, no need to mention it.
Last edited by DarkLink on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:25 pm

I still haven't heard all their albums. Should I vote? :?
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby DarkLink » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm

MySanityDoesFly wrote:I still haven't heard all their albums. Should I vote? :?

Hmmm... i think it is better if you wait a bit and listen all their work indeed... If not, you could missed some good stuff...
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby MySanityDoesFly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm sure I have. I only have the first and last albums.
MySanityDoesFlyUser avatar
Ancient Doomster
Ancient Doomster

Postby Storm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Turning Season Within is their best by far, and all who say different are wrong! :P
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby m0rtys » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:19 pm

I voted for "Turning Season Within" its the only album i've heard!
and i think its great..and i know another song for em, i also like it its "The Cry Of Silence".
what is reality when you're always lost in your dreams.
m0rtysUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby God Destroyer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

"The Burning Halo" is my favorite album ..I like this band,but i can't compare them with MDB...
I think that their gener is far to be "Death\Doom"or"Black\Doom"or"Funeral\Doom"....or any Doom Gener...Actually I can't determine what is thier gener..!!.But i like them.. :D
There is no god but ALLAH...
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمداً رسول الله
God DestroyerUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby PieceOfArt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I've heard the demo recordings long ago. Can't remember what I thought about them. Although, if I'm not mistaken more than one song was re-recorded for the first album.
As for now, my favorite album is Turning season within. It's not impossible that I'll change my mind in the future...
PieceOfArtUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby DarkLink » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 pm

PieceOfArt wrote:I've heard the demo recordings long ago. Can't remember what I thought about them. Although, if I'm not mistaken more than one song was re-recorded for the first album.
As for now, my favorite album is Turning season within. It's not impossible that I'll change my mind in the future...

Yeah, they have recordedseveral songs, including "It grieves my heart" and " The Morning star". I just can't remember the other ones...
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Beerman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I voted Arcane Rain Fell, they've yet to beat it. Their latest, Turning Season Within, I found deadly boring and generic I'm afraid.
Beerman
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Postby Storm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm

DarkLink wrote:
PieceOfArt wrote:I've heard the demo recordings long ago. Can't remember what I thought about them. Although, if I'm not mistaken more than one song was re-recorded for the first album.

Yeah, they have recordedseveral songs, including "It grieves my heart" and " The Morning star". I just can't remember the other ones...

"Death, Come Near Me", "Serenade of Sorrow" and "The Gothic Embrace" as well. I'm glad they did those re-recordings, because the sound quality wasn't exactly spectacular in the demos...
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
StormUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby DarkLink » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Storm wrote:
DarkLink wrote:

"Death, Come Near Me", "Serenade of Sorrow" and "The Gothic Embrace" as well. I'm glad they did those re-recordings, because the sound quality wasn't exactly spectacular in the demos...

Yes indeed. The Morning Star is definitely better on TBH. Turning Season is ok indeed. But I can't see a reall epic song like "Death Come Near Me" into it. So, I think Im gonna be tired of it quite quickly...
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Matvey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:42 pm

I voted for Where Lovers Mourn though I haven't listened to their last album...
Reversio Ad Secessum is one of my favourite...
"...I ain't sellin' my soul when there is nothing to buy..."
MatveyUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby God Destroyer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:35 pm

the last album "Turning Season Within"..is great..
There is no god but ALLAH...
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمداً رسول الله
God DestroyerUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby CarpathianQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 am

The Burning Halo is the best one according to me, except 'Forever My Queen'. It doesn't fit in the album and doesn't sound like the draconian we are used to. I can't enjoy listening to this one.
CarpathianQueenUser avatar
Doom Apprentice
Doom Apprentice

Next

Return to Metal and Other Music