My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Bands you like MORE THAN MDB :P

Discuss other bands, doom metal or otherwise, here.

Postby Vambo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 pm

1. Pain of Salvation
I'm a bit of a fanboy for PoS and love everything these guys have done. Wonderful music and fantastic lyrics. A band you can get your teeth into (not literally though :wink: )

2. Marillion
I've followed this mob since '84 and whilst they've had highs and lows it's been a ride I wouldn't have missed.

After those two I have a whole host of bands who share the number 3 spot inc MDB. Other bands would be Killing Joke, All About Eve, Opeth, Dream Theater, IQ, Dark Suns, Katatonia, Anathema, Wolverine, Evergrey and going back further in time the likes of Van der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Peter Hammill, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and others...
Vambo

Postby Philosphal Night » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 pm

AnathemA of course! yeah i love them but not so much their new stuff than their old
listen to we the gods at the moment^.^
well a band you maybe don't know: the equinox ov the gods brilliant (death)/doom-metal,the old theatre of tragedy with liv (they showed me the darker side of music =) )and the old paradise lost but mostly it's not that these bands are better but they're equal
Philosphal Night

Postby gorgnar » Wed May 30, 2007 12:16 am

Because I'm more into power/melodic metal my top list is a little like this:

1. Sabaton: Maybe the coolest singer in the world of melodic metal.
2. Tad Morose: A very cool singer. Listen to the album Modus Vivendi and see for yourself.
3. Morgana Lefay: Another band with a really good singer.
4. Running Wild: Good lyrics with interesting stories.
5. Iron Savior: A good futuristic story that ties the albums together.
6. DragonForce: Power metal at it's finest. Fast and powerful.
gorgnar

Postby Unearthly Rob » Wed May 30, 2007 3:37 am

Hmm, let's see:

Meshuggah
Meshuggah
Meshuggah
Meshuggah

and

Meshuggah!
Unearthly Rob

Postby Frits » Wed May 30, 2007 11:42 am

Well I can be short on this: NONE
MDB is definitely my number one band at the moment and will probably remain that for years to come.

Untill last year Rammstein was my number one band, but they've become too poppy for me. Great liveshow though and an honorable second place, but still dropping.

Why not make it three then: Fear Factory is also struggling nowadays, but they've still got lots of credit in my ranking.
I Fail to find comfort in your pale cold eyes
FritsUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Dreadful » Wed May 30, 2007 1:14 pm

None , My Dying Bride is my absolute favourite band.
Swallow the Sun and Burzum are the other two but the don't come close.
Dreadful

Postby Larth » Wed May 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Mdb is my favourite band. Music-wise I like Paradise Lost just as much, but the guys in mdb seem nicer..
Larth

Postby Mikey » Wed May 30, 2007 2:32 pm

Mastodon is my top band at the moment, then its a hard choice between My Dying Bride and Nile...
Mikey

Postby Tainted Wine » Wed May 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Depeche Mode, because I have listening to their music for eight years, the only group that kept me alive while I was a teen

Paradise Lost, because I am rarely disappointed by what they make

Faith and the Muse, because of the lyrics, of the voices, and many things

Actually, MDB is in my top ten
Tainted Wine

Postby Blasphemer » Wed May 30, 2007 9:08 pm

crown of thorns wrote:The Old Dead Tree

I like so much ''We Cry As One'' it is a good song.
Blasphemer

Postby Nicholas » Thu May 31, 2007 5:08 pm

For me, all these bands are number one, as I usually put them all into the playlist, tough MDB plays a lot... don't ask why.

My Dying Bride
Katatonia
Anathema
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Novembers Doom
Forest of Shadows
Lacrimas Profundere (older works)
Theatre of Tragedy
Pantheist
Nicholas

Postby Warspirit » Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 pm

1. Satanic Warmaster - easily the best band, much varitation and great vocals. This is real black metal.
2. Graveland - epic! Darken is a great musican, the latest pagan albums gives a really great feeling.

And My Dying Bride got the honourable third place :twisted:
Warspirit

Postby Pino » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:50 am

Probably my favourite band is Borknagar, followed closely by MDB.
Pino

Postby Holymagica » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:29 am

My favourite bands just now...in no order.
My Dying Bride
Draconian
Dio
After Forever
Dimmu Borgir
Candlemass
Michael Schenker Group
Inborn Suffering
Satyrian
E p i c a
Within Temptation

My favourites change alot but this is what I am listening to the most just now.
Holymagica

Postby Manzu » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:39 pm

lol... dunno for what reason, but i find saviour machine a pretty average band... i'm not saying they suck, but there are many better bands out there
Manzu

Postby Framus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:18 pm

1. Opeth
2. Ne Obliviscaris www.myspace.com/neobliviscaris (CHECK THESE GUYS OUT YOU WILL LOVE THEM)
3. My Dying Bride
4. Xasthur
5. Mournful Congregation
6. Mar De Grises
7. Explosions in the Sky
8. Sigur Ros
9. Enslaved
10. sleepmakeswaves (because i love my own band :) )
Framus

Postby lunanen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:09 am

Forest Stream and Dead Can Dance....Can't really compare DCD with MDB but I still like them a lot.
lunanen

Postby Fenrir » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:49 am

Well, I think Anathema rule my life.

Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Ezzi Lunara wrote:which is the best band of Finland

Hmm, what about Shape of Despair? Do you enjoy them? Image
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:09 pm

Shape Of Despair is a special band for me. Well, i'm too much involved in funeral doom genre. I love this kind of music. Try to listen "Angels Of Distress" album. It's a masterpiece. And "Shades Of..." too.
Fenrir

Postby lunanen » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Fenrir wrote:Shape Of Despair is a special band for me. Well, i'm too much involved in funeral doom genre. I love this kind of music. Try to listen "Angels Of Distress" album. It's a masterpiece. And "Shades Of..." too.

They are good! :) I've discovered Shape of Despair and Mourning Beloveth at one time and...sort got fed up by them simultaniously... But that's probably coz I listened too much of them at that particular time... Still the impression is very positive and pleasant : )
lunanen

Postby Luciferian » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 am

well, just to name a few, the ones I cherish with the same passion as I love my dying bride.

- Anathema: simply because they are the Gods, they're the best kept secret ever of british doom, together with MDB, I know them since ages, and to see them live has been an orgasmic experience.

- Saturnus: the perfect soundtrack for a broken heart, through all my loveless lonely nights, one of the few bands that makes me burst into tears with their music.

- Lacrimas Profundere: because they brought their style far beyond. The diversity of their sound, from classic arrengements, using violin, harp, flute and gloomy soprano chants, to their dirty rock of nowdays, the melancholy is always within.

*Katatonia: because they have never let me down, they're darkness and melancholy. And they still fucking rock through all the changes.

*Novembre: A little bit of death metal with a little bit of progressive, fucking great grunts mixed with acustic passages, not too complex, but the skilled enough so I can adore their albums.

*Avernus: they are one of the most underrated, forever underground & cursed bands ever. And their "Sadness" demo opened my eyes to doom metal.

*Ashes You Leave: Because they're pretty close under the influence of MDB, in its own style, They are one of the few bands with great female vocals. A must to any MDB fan.

*Thorns Of The Carrion, simply because "The Scarlet Tapestry" is a cult doom masterpiece.

Well the list goes on, but I can't put aside The Gathering, the band I have seen playing live the most, 7 times and counting, too many good moments through the years. Hope they don't fucked up after Anneke's departure.

Cheers.
Luciferian

Postby Philosphal Night » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm

just equal:
-Ahab
-Anathema (everytime *-* )
-Katatonia
-Novembers Doom
-Novembre
-The Equinox ov the Gods
and some other ^.^
Philosphal Night

Postby DarkLink » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm

NO ONE. I also love Opeth and Draconnian a lot but It is impossible for me to think that a band is better than MDB. :devilsign:
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:44 am

My Dying Bride is in there somewhere, it's position is constantly fluctuating between the top 5.

Anathema - it's just so good to listen to them, alternative, progressive and still doom... I mostly listen the albums after Eternity.
Katatonia - very interesting, progressive music, clear vocals are much better for the band in my opinion.
Forest of Shadows - absolutely brilliant work. One man project mostly... long and sorrowful tracks... you have to be in the mood
Novembers Doom - very good doom/death metal, I like the lyrics and the downtuned and heavy guitars, and the voice of the singer
Swallow the Sun - very good doom/death metal, I like the lyrics and the downtuned and heavy guitars, and the voice of the singer
Draconian - impressive gothic/doom metal, with enchanting female vocals
The Sins of Thy Beloved - very impressive and well structured gothic/doom metal, with growls and enchanting female vocals, with two keybords and a violin. Interesting instrumentation - R.I.P.
Lacrimas Profundere [old] - very good gothic/doom metal, good instrumentation. Since the Burning: a wish album, they started playing some kind of gothic/glam metal, kinda like HIM but much much worse... But the Burning: a wish is still good
Dawn of Dreams - a very good atmospherical gothic metal band. interesting effects used on the keyboards, good lyrics. R.I.P.
For My Pain - brilliant!!! absolutely brilliant. good vocals, good guitars, wonderful keyboards and bass. excellent!
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - very good melodic death/gothic metal. good music, good lyrics, good growls. awsome stuff.
Nightwish - very good music, but not with the new singer...
Nicholas

Postby Lycaon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm not sure if I can ever show my face here again after saying that besides MDB I like bands such as:

: Keane
: Coldplay
: Spinvis
: Red Hot Chili Peppers
: Yann Tiersen

Well, did I scare you guys off? :P
But My Dying Bride still is number one though...
LycaonUser avatar

Postby DarkLink » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Enig wrote:Love your signature, Luciferian.

My Heart doesnt beat slower, Am I not a real doomster??? :o
:cry:
This can't be!
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby DarkLink » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:53 pm

Lycaon wrote:I'm not sure if I can ever show my face here again after saying that besides MDB I like bands such as:

: Keane
: Coldplay
: Spinvis
: Red Hot Chili Peppers
: Yann Tiersen

Well, did I scare you guys off? :P
But My Dying Bride still is number one though...

You don't really scares me^^ I am also listenning various types of music. I am not sure it is only good to listen one type of music... Even if Metal is for me, the wildest type of music ever (doom/death/black/hardcore/sludge/grindcore/vikking/thrash...), I still need to listen something else like Rock bands or Electro music...
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm

In no particular order

1. Katatonia
2. Draconian
3. Before The Rain
4. Evadne
5. Sabachthani
6. To-mera
7. Adestreia
8. October Tide
9. The Foreshadowing
10. Paradise Lost

:-)

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Danhod » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Type O Negative has always been on a par for me, shame Peters gone :(

Long live Aaron!

After those in no order:

Whitehouse / Cut Hands
Electric Wizard
Dimmu Borgir
Devourment
Etc.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Danhod » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 am

MySanityDoesFly wrote:That sounds incredible!

Unfortunately I never got to see them.

:beerchug:
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lychfowel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 pm

My top 15 @ last.fm:

1. My Dying Bride
2. Death
3. Morbid Angel
4. Opeth
5. Edge of Sanity

6. Bal-Sagoth
7. Iron Maiden
8. Metallica
9. Kreator
10. Slayer

11. Megadeth
12. Paradise Lost
13. Testament
14. Sepultura
15. Cradle of Filth

But actually, there are bands I like more than some of these. It's just they've popped up more often when I've been playing songs randomly with WinAmp. And some of them are limited only to a few albums. The only truly consistent bands are the first six.
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Danhod » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Not sure about more, but not too far off, Current 93.

If you have no idea who he is / they go now and research all their releases or you will miss out on so much of what has been fuel for my life lol! Especially the last three records and the live releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOit18TQQbQ
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby muskurov » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am

Lately I have a crush on Mourning Beloveth :devilsign:
muskurovUser avatar

Postby Tammymaype » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:28 am

I just wondered how you all discover decent new bands. I listen to 6 Music but thats about it. Ive checked out some bands some of you have recommended too like Girls Names. Any tips?
Attachments
284.gif
284.gif (2.62 KiB) Viewed 750 times
TammymaypeUser avatar
Novice
Novice

Return to Metal and Other Music