My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Where church bells ring

Discuss anything My Dying Bride-related

Postby Lycaon » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:54 pm

MySanityDoesFly wrote:The 'with bells' version, for anyone wanting to compare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMFlV2nVeU

Removed already. :wink:
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for sharing the link :D

I think I prefer it without the bell anyway, it seems a bit out of place, probably as I've got used to it without the bell though.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lycaon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:12 am

Fleshless_Wreckage wrote:Ok, it seems that i have the "rare" version of the CD. (Found a link on Youtube where you can hear the bells)
But as a collector I would like to get the final version as well with the booklet and all.

Can Andrew or someone else from the band confirm that if I now order new copy of the album, I'll get the one with bells on the intro of "I Celebrate Your Skin"?

Or should I contact directly to Peaceville?

The band has no control over this whatsoever, so you'd best contact Peaceville directly using this link.
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Lycaon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:10 am

Quetiapine wrote:or maybe it was the riddle that we have not solved. There is a line in A Cold New Curse : Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring

None of us have noticed that there is a difference between CD and vinyl so we failed.

That would be one hell of an easter egg...
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:19 am

Lycaon wrote:
Quetiapine wrote:or maybe it was the riddle that we have not solved. There is a line in A Cold New Curse : Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring

None of us have noticed that there is a difference between CD and vinyl so we failed.

That would be one hell of an easter egg...

Hahaha

I'm confused now about wether the band wanted the bells in the album or not :lol: I'm supposing not.

I'm curious to what other 'embellishments' are on the promo CD mixes compared to the final version, is it just the bells at the beginning of track 6?

Quite funny how on that link Peaceville put if you'd like to swap your 'now rare' CD for the final master lol

I've not heard the vinyl version yet (I've got the deluxe copy) but the CD I have with the deluxe version is excluding the bells so I suppose it was a later pressing. I've not read anything about the vinyl version being any different to the CD.
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby DarkLink » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks for letting us up-to-date Aylin.

I like eggs and I like bells but I'm still struggling with the idea of having two versions of Feel the Misery.
Whispering my given name.
Unfurls the fingers of flame.
Nameless sons and daughters of sin.
Step forward when you hear the bells ring.
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Podgie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 pm

I have no bells on my CD, but my turntable is up north so I can't test the record - does anyone know if the 10" pressing has bells / is the final mix or not?
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Podgie wrote:I have no bells on my CD, but my turntable is up north so I can't test the record - does anyone know if the 10" pressing has bells / is the final mix or not?

As I understand, this is a cd issue only. But then again, you cannot prove non-existence, so strictly speaking it is only very likely that there are no vinyl misprints untill every one of them has been put to the test. :wink:
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Podgie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Lycaon wrote:
Podgie wrote:I have no bells on my CD, but my turntable is up north so I can't test the record - does anyone know if the 10" pressing has bells / is the final mix or not?

As I understand, this is a cd issue only. But then again, you cannot prove non-existence, so strictly speaking it is only very likely that there are no vinyl misprints untill every one of them has been put to the test. :wink:

Aye, in hindsight, I guess the vinyl pressing will have been handled entirely separately to that of the CDs and will probably feature the band's final master.

In which case I anticipate playing the record even more so...
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Danhod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks Aylin, guess I have a reason to buy the digipack version now too xD

Is this why a couple of us have perceived the album to have less of a full/warm sounding production compared to a map? I also thought this but now am curious to compare the final master (on CD instead of youtube)

Interesting info with the bells, I'll probably be sad enough to count from now :lol:

Must be annoying for the band and label.. I wonder how many copies were actually mis-pressed. It's now out of stock on the website (digipak version) so I suppose they may have had to throw out every copy in case :? Maybe these bell-less versions aern't as rare as we think, quite a few people on here have this version.

Quetiapine wrote:I'll be listening to the other tracks and look for significant differences

How's the complete detailed comparison coming along Quetiapine? :P :wink:
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby DarkLink » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Danhod wrote:Maybe these bell-less versions aern't as rare as we think, quite a few people on here have this version.

Yeah, maybe all of us who pre-ordered it got the non-bell version. I don't mind not having it or having a rare cd as I am not a collector. I just hope there is only one song with a superior sound quality and not the whole cd...
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lycaon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Quetiapine wrote:Ok. I'm not a sound engineer. However I analyze FT-IR spectra. At last everything is a wave.

I compared individual tracks (but only one channel). Some of the songs have deeper bandwidth but it takes only a second . 3 track in last second is gently pulled. However, analyzing all using 0,005s steps, microscopic changes can be seen in sounds record.
Of course, the biggest change is in the number 6, there you can easily see a completely different sound recording.
It is possible that if I could isolate the sounds of individual instruments i could see difference and determine if the record is different because guitar is a little tucked up or bass muted. Sometimes i think that the sound is slightly smoother but it was hard for me to compare this only by hearing (perhaps if I had better headphones?).

The most important conclusion is this: only I Celebrate Your Skin has new sounds and embellishments.
I do not see signs of the new notes at any other track. small changes are visible with a very extended time scale (although I suspect that it may already be a margin of error).

I hope you understand something, because when i read this now, i don't. :D

No worries, you make perfect sense. ;)

Going so much in depth you probably have noticed that the unofficial version of the album already closely resemblances the final mix. The main differences then would be that the official version has a more polished mastering, a couple of vocal edits and a pushed up volume level. So you are right in stating that I Celebrate Your Skin has the most obvious differences; the bells, the chants, the intro and the outro. But if you are genuinly interested it might be worth to go look for other, smaller surprises as well. Just keep in mind that the final mix is how the band intended the album to be.
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Frits » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm stunned while reading this.
Can anyone point out wich song is lacking bells? I haven't perceived any bells on the cd I got, so I'm probably fucked. Are there any other errors? Because I do have the impression that the guitars aren't sounding as allmighty as they could sound, that might also be a master flaw.
I Fail to find comfort in your pale cold eyes
FritsUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Edit: Frits, having the bells in the intro of I Celebrate Your Skin is a good indication that you have the final mix. I personally wouldn't call the other mix errorsome, it's just different. If you do have the unfinal mix you would like to have the final one, you would best contact Peaceville via this link.
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Lycaon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:31 pm

MySanityDoesFly wrote:Surely the version with the bells is the final version? Or have I had this totally wrong for the past several days?! :-P

Yes, I fucked up. I said the opposite of what I meant, happens more often than I'd like. ;)
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Lycaon wrote:
MySanityDoesFly wrote:Surely the version with the bells is the final version? Or have I had this totally wrong for the past several days?! :-P

Yes, I fucked up. I said the opposite of what I meant, happens more often than I'd like. ;)

How can we be sure this isn't happening again? Did you mean you didn't fuck up?
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lycaon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Touché 8)
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Lycaon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Fourthly wrote:Okay. I have now heard the trio of bells. So...this is the proper mix, yes?

Yes!
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Lychfowel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Is there a regular jewelcase release?
I breed in chaotic frenzy!
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lycaon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:00 pm

Ando72 wrote:Wish I hadn't heard this news, as I now feel the need to buy another copy of the album (which, by the way I think is amazing and in my opinion their best since SODWOL). Does anyone on here know if there are other differences on the final mix, i.e. better sound, etc?

I have posted about the notable differences earlier in this thread. Generally, the differences between the two mixes are not astoundingly huge. You might even have to listen more carefully than you are used to in order to hear the bells. They don't come at 130 decibel, it is possible that you would miss them at first.
LycaonUser avatar

Postby DarkLink » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:03 pm

BRUCEBIS wrote:Hi good morning,
I actually own the "rare-not-so-rare missing bells edition". I would gladly purchase a new copy of feel the misery and keep the weird one, but could someone tell me if there is any way to make sure the new version I buy is the good one? Any hints to identify it, code bars, whatever??? I also find my copy to sound weak compared to previous recent albums as some of you pointed. Thanks in advance,

I think Lycaon should be your man to answer that tricky question. :)
DarkLinkUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lycaon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

I don't have the answer to that. If anyone can answer your question, Peaceville can. You can contact them via this link.
LycaonUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:31 am

Adon wrote:I've received today my new CD, ordered after it came back in stock at burningshed and I'm pleased to confirm it is the correct mix. :devilsign:

Have you noticed any difference in the production or does the quality sound the same but with the extra sounds?
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Postby Lycaon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:39 pm

for my fallen angel wrote:Did anyone exchange the CD from Peaceville? Do I have to send only the CD or the Digipak as well? Do I have to pay the shipping?

Best ask Peaceville! :)
LycaonUser avatar

Postby muskurov » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:39 am

I didn't find it on youtube, but try this link
muskurovUser avatar

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Both of the versions I have, have no bells hahaha

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
The Last Lonely ManUser avatar
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Lychfowel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:16 pm

I have the bell-less preorder, but I am wondering, is the one *with* bells and whistles louder? I mean, my version of 'Feel the Misery' sounds like it was recorded in the mid-eighties, volume-wise.
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Wow!

I am really glad I got myself a "corrected and polished" version.. It's like someone has been tweaking the knobs in all the right places! There were a couple of areas on the album where it wasnt quite as Id have liked, but this "proper" version has corrected them! (my main issue was feel the misery didnt feel like it "kicked in" as powerfully as it could have, but does now!!!)

So, now I have two versions, the journalist reviewer version, and the corrected, and polished version, and man, I love this album so much...

My divine negative, No joy can be compared to you, And no conquest can be equated with you, No euphoria can be compared with you, And no love can ever replace you..
Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Lychfowel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Is there a way to know I'm getting the polished version if I order it online?
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:42 pm

I wouldnt say so dude... I had the journalist review version in the digibook version, when it was originally released. I then picked up a digipak version the other week, and even though a fair amount of time has passed I still ended up with the Journalist version... So I utilised the peaceville exchange scheme. :)

Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby The Last Lonely Man » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Ok! So have just sat and listened to both versions of "Feel The Misery" side by side, in 30 second intervals, so I didn't miss anything.. Please bear in mind that I am not a musician, though I do like music, and this basically my opinion (sometimes), and fact (other times), so please don't be offended by anything I have written. From what I can surmise, the band have taken what was already an amazing album, and made it even better! If it was a 9.5/10 before, the corrected version makes it a definite 10/10 now.

So here goes! (Please don't mind my terminology.. I only know what I hear..)
These are the changes from what I can hear. Below is a list of how the "correct" version differs from the Journalist version (of which I had two, and traded one in with peaceville)

And My Father Left Forever - 9:21

The guitars on the fills/single chord fills sound much punchier and more pronounced.
Vocals definitely feel louder.
Drums sound fuller.
Chugging guitar riff at 5:00 MUCH heavier (more low end).
Violin more in-keeping with the other instruments mix level wise (volume)
Bass clearly audible. \m/

To Shiver In Empty Halls - 9:47

Heavy riff at 0:47 sounds generally meatier.
Guitar lines at 3:40 or so seem bassier.
Clean vocal at 3:48 sounds more equalised, bassier etc
Piano at the 4:40 mark definitely louder.
5:00, definitely shows a much punchier/bassier "kick in".
Drums at the 6:30 mark, definitely fuller sounding.
Spoken word vocals, a little louder and more low end/bass.
"Kick in" at 7:24 much more pronounced \m/
Second guitar sounds more pronounced during whispered outro.

A Cold New Curse - 9:16

Additional 13 seconds, during the outro is permeated with guitar distortion/tone 'til fade out, it works better in my opinion. (the other version ends quite suddenly)
Intro guitar much louder in the mix.
The "I thank my enemy line" (0:35 onward) has a phantom drum noise in the background which is much more pronounced on this version...(can you hear it? maybe somebody knocked something over in the studio..)
Heavy section at 1:04 mark much more satisfying, better guitar sound.
Louder and bassier vocals. \m/
Guitar lines at 2:15 or so seem to flow together better, muddier sound (you hear the individual notes less, less treble I mean?).
Chugging riff and "kick in" at 3:47 much more pronounced/heavier/bassier \m/
7:08 Growling vocals much bassier/fuller sounding.

Feel The Misery - 6:20

Intro guitar remedied, much better! More of a punch in the face. \m/
Violin lines much louder, sounds great!
1:50 Violin and clean vocals much more in-keeping with each other (less confusing to the ear volume wise)
The main guitar riff is generally heavier/bassier throughout. \m/
Piano at 3:25 much more pronounced and audible in the mix
Band "kick in" at 3:58 is much fuller sounding.
Violin work from 5:18 on-wards is much louder in the mix/clearer.

A Thorn Of Wisdom - 5:04

Intro piano sounds less flat/lifeless.
Better bass sound generally, sounds warmer, and CLEARER.
Vocals feel warmer.
Song overall feels warmer and fuller.
Guitar palm mutes from 3:19 onward, definitely bassier (more punch). \m/
Vocals do become a little clearer over piano toward the end.. (mix volume issues)

I Celebrate Your Skin 6:53

Added church bell sound effect during intro.
Guitar treble remedied, much bassier/easier on the ears/warmer sounding.
Vocals slightly louder in the mix.
Growling vocals more in-keeping with music. (volume again)
Drums louder in the mix in first growled section.
Clean vocals much warmer sounding and louder in the mix.
4:14 introduction of choir/monks chanting into reverb drum section, plus some extra incidental piano during the section. Awesome!!
The "kick in" at 4:47 with the clean vocals, is definitely fuller sounding.
Single chord "doom" guitar riff at the end is much fuller sounding, you can heard the second guitar more.
Organ during outro is louder, with additional church bells.

I Almost Loved You - 5:27

(Always had a problem with this track having too much treble, or maybe the piano isn't equalised correctly? I'm not an engineer.. but my headphones or speakers never liked this track loud on the Journalist Review version!)

Piano is bassier, less sharp to the ear, generally warmer sounding.
The vocals seem very slightly lower in the mix, and the bassier tones help.
The violin is also quieter, which helps with the problem with it being too treble heavy..

Within A Sleeping Forest - 10:38
The chords picking up the guitar lines are much punchier, and bassier.
Organ is overpowered by the guitars slightly. (compared to the other version)
Growled vocals, much bassier/warmer sounding.
Heavy riff at 3:14 is much bassier. \m/
Clean vocals at 3:31 sound bassier/warmer, and louder/more central in the mix.
The change at 4:20 is definitely heavier, thus making the organ a little quieter in the mix.
Growled vocals at 4:38 much louder and bassier in the mix, maybe an added vocal track too?
Guitar riff at 5:33 and the band "kick in" sound so much meatier, and mightier! \m/
Guitar riff at 7:18 is much bassier. though the keyboard is less audible.
Violin around the 9:00 mark over and around the spoken word, is much louder in the mix.

So there it is... Pick it apart, do with it what you will...

Darkness Adept
Darkness Adept

Postby Lychfowel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:42 pm

It's good to see I'm not the only one with a compulsive disorder.
But seriously, cheers mate, it sounds as if there are some major differences and that I really have to hunt down the finalized mix. I don't want to send in my digipak though, so I'll just have to see if I ever get close to an actual record shop.

Thanks for the hard work of listening and taking notes! :beerchug:
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Lychfowel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 pm

I did some snooping around and found the final master, wow it's a world of difference indeed, only have the files at the moment but realize I have to buy it when I get the chance. Gonna listen to the final master while reading your annotations ^^
LychfowelUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Podgie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Still to this day have no idea which version I'm listening to... but either way I love it.

And from my understanding the 10" vinyl records have the final master, yes? In which case as soon as I have my turntable back I'll be able to listen to it then...
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Postby Podgie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead... but, as I was, someone else may be seeking an answer to this. So I can now confirm (after being reunited with my turntable and beloved record collection) that thankfully the 10" version of the album does indeed feature the final master, aka. the bells (and whistles)! And guess what? It sounds glorious :worship:
PodgieUser avatar
Metal Acolyte
Metal Acolyte

Return to My Dying Bride