My Dying Bride Forum

Take from me the crown of sympathy...

Freud/Personality

Discuss books, paintings, thoughts and more.

Postby muskurov » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:17 pm

I've tried many times to read and enjoy Freud's works, with almost no success so far. Last attempt was a few weeks ago with "Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality" whose ideas I find odd, mad and at times amusing.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:It's from the instant that the child is exposed to outside influences that their personality character is shaped. All life experiences, no matter how great or small, shape it in some way.

Very well said. Totally agree.

I think that in most cases personality does not change suddenly and easily. Instead it slowly develops or evolves with time and experiences. In that sense every new experience changes a bit of one's personality. Yes, dysfunctional personality can be developed as a result of emotional trauma. And then with proper technique/therapy/support it can be treated.
muskurovUser avatar

Postby muskurov » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm

First I should state that I’m far from being a biologist, so please correct me when I’m wrong.
The She-Wolf wrote: "the genes we give our children shape them more than our parenting practices."

I do not agree with this as it is unprovable which is more and which is less. I tend to agree more with the way you described it. Genes define potentials which will be or not developed according to the environment and decisions the person makes in life. As I see it, we are born blank with some limitations and predefined genetic properties.
The She-Wolf wrote:(as recent research has shown)

This sounds rather interesting. My next “reading vacation” :) should include some of these researches.
Princessvenom wrote:One has a slightly below average IQ, the other qualified for MENSA.

As far as I know there is no gene (or group of genes) that define the range of one’s intelligence. Also intelligence is not inherited from our parents. Of course if I were a result of an incest (which I suspected as a child), the probability of being mentally and/or physically retarded are higher. And therefore my possibilities of being anyone I want would decrease.

This subject is rather interesting to me and I can’t stop to wonder, would it be possible in a given time, your intelligence and this of your sister to be switched. In the sense of one to be reduced and the other stimulated and increased. Of course such an experiment would be rather unethical.
The She-Wolf wrote:In case anyone has a good idea of what is human nature, I'm willing to know it.

Here is an idea, if it is good or not is it for you and the others to decide. Human nature is the behaviour humans have, independent of any outside influences. Under this definition I would put basic human instincts like self preservation and procreation. I’m still not sure about hunger/hunting and sleep. If we consider some common human fears, let's say of spiders, I think it is a result from the surrounding culture and experiences the subject has. As it turns out I actually believe that the human nature are our beastly traits :idea:
muskurovUser avatar

Postby Danhod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 pm

I like the beard :)
As Real As Rainbows
DanhodUser avatar
Arch Melancholist
Arch Melancholist

Return to Arts, Literature and Philosophy